• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bad CRHA Cartridge

supreme940

I got a new CRHA for my 15g, nice and smooth when it was installed. Let the engine run for a while, drove without boost for a while to let it break in, and it's already pushing oil into the intercooler piping. Are these known for going bad? For $168 I wouldn't think it'd be bad out of the gate or nevermind after less than 500 miles.

At $168 I?d guess you got what you paid for. I?ve bought several for my classic saab 900?s and 9000?s that went for $400-500. These were new not rebuilt,for cars I planned to keep a long time so I spent the extra money. Although for $170 I could see why you?d expect usage

All relatively new parts, new genuine pcv box, flame traps, new hoses.

Yeah I bought it on ebay from gyturbo, so that's probably a china clone. Sucks because I bought it months ago and just got around to installing it so I'm SOL now. And at a $500 price point I might as well just get a bigger turbo.

Do mitsu turbos require an oil restrictor? I'm not the expert on mitsu turbos but I do know that some turbos need one, because if they don't have one they puke oil. If so,the chinaturblow crha may have the wrong size orifice, or none at all.

I have the same issue with mine (bought off a reputable supplier in the UK)
I also sorted my PCV out fairly recently but then I thought, with fairly obvious blowby, and a clear PCV system, it makes sense that it's pulling oil into the intake of the turbo. So it might be that.

Have also heard the turbo might need an oil restrictor so could be that (as well or instead). I think also it could be a good idea to use a larger bore drain from the turbo so you're less likely to get oil backing up in the cartridge and pushing around the seals, I was going to do that at some point but I don't see a need to right away.

Do mitsu turbos require an oil restrictor? I'm not the expert on mitsu turbos but I do know that some turbos need one, because if they don't have one they puke oil. If so,the chinaturblow crha may have the wrong size orifice, or none at all.

All the Mitsubishi turbos I’ve run have the restrictor already built in.

Back