• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kaplhenke Coilover parts diagram (exploded diagram posted page 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased from Ben and been by his place in Rockville. Never a issue with support. Nobody sits around a pc like you expect. You should have purchased from Ben direct!

Hi gang,
I've messaged Ben on the Facebook group but he is notoriously bad at support.
Granted I got these second or third hand, but I feel I'm missing something or have installed incorrectly.
My setup is front and rear coil overs on a Volvo 740t wagon with t5 trans.
The fronts clunk and if I push down on the front I can see the shaft that the top nut is attached to moves up and down and clunks.
I'm thinking I'm missing a spacer perhaps.
It goes bottom spring perch, shock threaded top thing, (this won't screw all the way onto shock tube) spring, plastic washer thing, tophat, some sort of insert, camber plate.
above strut tower is conical washer, spring washer, top nut.
Am I missing something?
Top nut tightens all the way but have vertical movement .
Ben won't supply parts diagram or any pictures or info as I didn't buy these brand new.
Pretty average from a bloke who so many here support.
If I wasn't on the opposite side of the world I would have brought new.
Can someone please help?
Keep adding washers until it tightens up?

Do you have vertical movement between the coil spring and the and the top seat for the spring? If so, maybe you need some helper springs to take up the slack like these:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/eibach-ers-helper-springs

You also need a the spacers to connect the springs together:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-SPACER250

Or is the vertical movement past the camber plate at the top and maybe you need a spacer under the top nut. You shouldn't be tightening all the way down to the bottom threads on the shock, it should be tight before you get there. When I made my home made coilovers I just used the spacers that had a concave metal top and bottom and rubber in the middle that was on my stock system.

Or finally are you missing the strut top bearing like this or similar, not the spherical bearing in the top of the camber plate:
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6640/111355-upper-strut-mount-bearing-740-760-780-940-960-s90-v90

Is it the same on both sides? Or only one side is moving?

What is moving? If the strut insert (threaded part sticking out the top) is moving, but the bearing in the camber plate isn't moving, then I wonder if the nut is bottomed out at the base of the threaded section of the strut insert. Lots of thread showing...I don't know if you ran out of thread.

Is the bearing moving in the camber plate?

Does the bearing itself have play, allowing the movement?

Did the strut insert fit precisely through the spherical bearing in the camber plate, or were there bushings that fit into the bearing to reduce the ID of the bearing opening, to make a precise fit? Often the bearings are oversized and there are bushings used. Usually made of aluminum if they can be sufficiently thick, or stainless if they're thinner.

You have to look at the entire stack and figure out if there's some piece that's not seated or fitting right. If both sides have the same movement, then one could assume you're missing something. Or something isn't assembled in the right order. If there are bushings in the bearing, are both pieces the same or is one longer than the other? Or maybe there's only one, inserted from the top....or the bottom?

Ben won't supply parts diagram or any pictures or info as I didn't buy these brand new.
Pretty average from a bloke who so many here support.

A lot of assumptions for someone who isn't getting responded to when they sending you messages at 4 am on the weekend. :roll::roll::roll:

Attachments

• Exploded Diagram.jpg
    Exploded Diagram.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back