home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Default Messed with my shifter, now it won't crank, start inhibitor?

I had the brilliant idea of replacing my old, nasty shift knob with a like new one I found in the junkyard. 30 second job, right? Nope... ended up breaking the stick that goes down into the shifter. Not a big deal, went back and grabbed that. After replacing that and putting everythign back together, now the car won't crank. I noticed when I first took everything apart that the start inhibitor micro switch had the wires removed, so I assume the PO had bypassed it.

When I went to look for the wires, I cannot for the life of me find them. I figure I probably knocked something loose (PO thought he was a master at automotive wiring... why do I keep buying cars like this? ) but I just can't find anything wrong. I ran the shifter through every gear, and no crank still. It worked perfectly fine before I messed with the shifter.

I've looked at the diagram, which shows a pink and a blue wire going to that switch, but I don't think that's the case unless it's referring to the solenoid underneath that (which I can't access, the shifter doesn't move far enough out of the way). The wires going to that microswitch are clearly black, and every picture I've seen shows the same thing.

Anybody know where the wires go or have a picture? This is going on 3 days... unbelievable. I just pulled the engine from my S70 in an afternoon yet I can't figure out a shifter assembly after hours and hours of messing with it. I hate automatics...
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige- Sold
1998 S90 Silver/Gray- Sold
1988 744 TI M46- Regretfully Sold
1995 854 GLT Auto- Crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black- Sold
bmdubya1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Volvo?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
Mark
sex lights

It's a bit foggy as it's been a few years now, but I believe I had to clip the little pink wire in the 940 harness when I did my 940 engine/wiring harness swap into a manual 740, because it wouldn't start otherwise. This will disable the neutral safety switch entirely, so use with caution.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Vol...Conversion.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
Incorrect, the Frigidaire is Mark's 86 745. It's in appliance white and it is Best Car.
The Fridge; '86 745 DD-with full '94 LH2.4 swap. Now with M90!
2000 AMG E55 wagon.
'78 Honda GL1000- naked Goldwing.
'76 265 wagon with Megasquirted 350 chevy and T56. Scrapped
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It's a bit foggy as it's been a few years now, but I believe I had to clip the little pink wire in the 940 harness when I did my 940 engine/wiring harness swap into a manual 740, because it wouldn't start otherwise. This will disable the neutral safety switch entirely, so use with caution.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Vol...Conversion.htm
Yeah, that's what I want to do. I'm going to manual swap this car eventually anyway, so I don't really care how I fix it... I just want the car running.
I'll continue digging through the rat's nest tomorrow and try to find that pink wire.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Got it... I had to connect the blue wire to the pink wire on this connector. I have no idea where the small black wires went that connected to the switch, also seen in the pic. Looks like maybe the guy spliced those together with a crimp connector that was ahead of the shifter assembly, but I'm not sure.
If that's the case, it somehow shook loose while I was working in the area. Whatever, it starts now!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
lummert
Board Member

Neutral Safety Switch?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Neutral Safety Switch?
If that's the micro switch there on the side of the shifter assembly, that's what I bypassed. The connector with the wires I spliced together that is shown in the picture runs to the shifter assembly on the left side, and I can't see where those wires go from there. As you can see on the switch, those wires are/were black. Don't know where those wires went, I can't find them. My initial plan was to jump those to each other, which is why I started this thread in the first place, but I just did the same thing at the wires that seem to connect to those smaller black wires.
It's not a safety concern being that this is going to be manual swapped at some point anyway, plus my V70R has no safe guards against starting it in gear, so I'm used to not being an idiot with those things lol.

Do these have the wiper style neutral safety switches or just those start inhibitor micro switches? I don't think I have any other type of neutral safety switch on this car.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #8
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubya1198 View Post
Do these have the wiper style neutral safety switches or just those start inhibitor micro switches? I don't think I have any other type of neutral safety switch on this car.
Wiper style... https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=462&jsn=462

The micro switch enables the solenoid that locks the shifter in Park unless you step on the brakes. Once the shifter is out of park, you don't need the solenoid clicking every time you touch the brakes, so the micro switch cuts off the power to it.

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
483,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Right, that's the solenoid just below the switch. My car no longer locks the shifter at all, I don't need to be on the brakes or have the key in or anything. The override is useless. It might have to do with the plastic that holds that cable breaking. I also have to push the shifter forward in P to get it to lock to the point that I even need to use the shifter button to move from park.
Like I said, at least I'm used to driving manual cars and don't worry about these safeguards. This car will be manual eventually so I'm not worried about it.

But yeah, that's definitely the connector. I guess somehow I damaged the neutral safety switch when reinstalling the shifter. That's annoying! At least I think I finally have an understanding of how all these switches function.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
lummert
Board Member

I'm running a 94 960 shifter in my 88 765. Neutral safety switch set in neutral is laying on the floor.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
bmdubya1198
Board Member

I guess that's one way to do it!