• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 142 - The Stepchild of a Stepchild!

Thanks!
I should add that it turns out I really didn't need to tear it down. The pistons, rods & mains measured out within standards specs.
The pistons that I bought from Rockauto (on clearance) turned out to be late B20 pistons, with 24mm wrist pins, so I ordered a set of 22mm pistons from VP Auto. Since they were clearance, no returns.....
The new ones should be here on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll move the daily's out of the garage & give the block a good bath, clean the oil passages, etc. Hopefully I'll get it in primer & paint tomorrow!
Steve

Block cleaned & primered with VHT high temp primer. Ran the heat gun over it for about a half an hour.
I'll put some Volvo red on it in a couple of hours.
After I paint it I'll clean the cylinder walls & oil passages again, then I can start reassembling.

mqrxcx0.jpg

ziqex1P.jpg

Steve

Got the crank in the other day, then had to go to OKC for work.

19NcCAv.jpg

Got home late last night, and decided to get the rear control arm bushings out so I can take them to the sandblaster's on Monday.
Wow, let's just say that was a joy! I hope to never have to do this ever again!!
But they, along with the torque rod & Panhard bushings, are all out.

Dgoll1q.jpg

Hopefully some more engine progress (pistons / rings & cam) tomorrow. We'll see after we meet friends at Schlafly's Taproom tonight.
Steve

Last edited:
Nice work on painting the engine. Looks new. I love your attention to detail, it would be so easy to slap this thing together and call it done but instead you take the time to do it well.

I'm gonna use this as a reference for how to properly restore a pushrod Volvo when it's time for me to rebuild my duett

Fantastic work man, keep the pictures coming!

Work got in the way so far this week. Bought the VTO Minilites that Ken had listed!!
Should be able to get back to it tomorrow night.
Thanks guys!
Steve

No updates.
The wife wanted to go to get chicken strip at a local watering hole. Doesn't hurt that the wait staff is shall we say perpetual cold.

Going to see X tomorrow night, so maybe some progress will happen on Saturday.
Steve

Rings are on the pistons, waiting on my new ring compressor. Couldn't get the cheap Auto Zone compressor to squeeze the rings to my liking, so I ordered an adjustable tapered compressor. We'll see how that looks.
Decided to install the injector holders. Dropped one of my new fiber washers. Now normally this would hit the garage floor and maybe bounce a foot or two, but noooo…… Not in this case. It hits the toe of shoe and takes off like a sprinter and rolls to Alabama, I think. I've searched to whole bleeping garage and no luck finding it. I still have the old ones. so I'll use one of those I guess.
About the injectors.
About a month ago, vwbusman66 posted looking for D-Jet parts for his 142. I replied that Rock Auto has Beck-Arnley injectors $49. K-Jets On A Plane replied that they aren't Bosch units and would fry my ECU.
I thought that they would be rebuilt Bosch injectors, but in fact are brand new. They are manufactured in the US (FWIW), and have a different nozzle.
I looked at the 1973 parts catalog that I downloaded, and these are a match for part 42B on page 81, with the notes on page 82 stating "replacement".
No pictures, but thought I'd share what I have. I still have the originals if these don't work out.
Steve

Last edited:
Paul, thanks for the suggestion. If the B-A units don't work out, I'll give that place a shout.
Got the bottom end buttoned up.

wm3nkq7.jpg

dgcnDq9.jpg

taVNeIX.jpg

7Ui1Rn2.jpg

6Tlw7af.jpg

Still need to torque the crank pulley, but it's hot as balls in the garage!
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Update.....
Can't torque the head, shorted one new head bolt. Also, shorted one pushrod. I double-checked my invoices online and I ordered the correct amount (10 & 8). Not too concerned, everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure that I'll have them by next weekend.
Didn't like that the Volvo red was two different hues, so the oil pan, breather, & water pump outlet came off to be repainted. The oil pan yesterday, so it's been reinstalled, the others are currently drying.
I still need to repaint the alternator bracket and heater pipe, but the humidity is pretty high, & the garage is pretty hot, so I'm done for now. I'll probably go out later and install the intake, breather, & water pump outlet but don't want to torque anything until I get the head torqued.
I'll get the other parts repainted later as well.
Another thing that I'm thinking is about my oil pressure switch.
I can only tighten it another 1/4 turn without worrying about it breaking. It would be nice to get another 3/4 turn on it, so that the switch it facing up. There is a nice pocket in the block, between the cylinders, that would be perfect for it.
So, I'm thinking of removing it and cutting about 1/4" off of it. What do you guys think?
Here are the pics, first of the oil pressure switch & exhaust manifold & injectors are installed, then one showing the difference in the Volvo red paint, and last, a cleaned up thermo timer switch.

stYyi87.jpg

8hTqhR3.jpg

4LYeYXI.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the engine this morning, set the valve clearances, installed the distributor, fan, & valve cover.
Now, how to get it off of this stand without scratching it all up...?.

niYUl5T.jpg

SBDWxpT.jpg

X4pcJ3x.jpg

Fun day today. No pictures today, nothing too exciting.
I got the rear control arms & Panhard bar back last week. Had a local shop cook away all of the old undercoating. This morning I sandblasted & cleaned cleaned them, shot them with some 2K primer then finished with Chassis Black paint. They're hanging in the 2nd floor of my garage curing.
Then I started what I've been dreading..... Cleaning the rear axle. Heat gun & putty knife.... For 7 hours. It's still not clean enough to paint yet. I'll hit it will my trusty needle scaler tomorrow evening. Gotta watch the Yankees / Red Sux game.
Maybe I'll get the axle in primer tomorrow evening and take some photos.
Steve

Last edited:
Looking good Steve!

P.S. I don't like the rivet fan, prone to crack. Ask Ian to be on the safe side.....maybe I'm wrong

I had never heard about that.
I only know of this style and the 4 blade fan without the clutch.

The fans that are prone to cracking are the flex flans. Both my brother and I have had them break and throw a blade into (and partially through) the hoods of our cars.

BrokenFlexFan.jpg

DamagedHood.jpg

Back