• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I was too legit. Too legit to quit.

BR1CKHOUS3

I like the tuna here
This is my dumping ground for whatever Volvo related content I feel like sharing Instead of making new threads for each DD :nod:

Welcome to my current 745 daily driver:

YAoBTgil.jpg

The 744 was such a good car to me over the years. For $1200 it rocked and had cold A/C. I thought it deserved some love, so I made this thread and did what I could to make this car quick, bumpin, and looking good.

I've now officially taken this car off the road and all its goodies are going into my blue wagon. This car earned it's keep and then some :cool:

CRM4rjtl.jpg

PqiJkJxl.jpg

Updates on last page.
Setup:
1990 740 Turbo
Stock engine/AC/AW-71 trans/IC/rear end
Phenolic intake mani spacers
Modded airbox
240T copper rad
E-fan
15G
T5 injectors
MBC @~16psi
IPD/TME cat-back
Azev Type A's (5x108 17x8.5 front 17x9.5 rear)
Stock springs cut waaay too much
IPD upper/lower brace & front/rear sways
SuperPro poly bushings up front
#hella beat in the trunk

f2GjcVZl.jpg

The system:
-Alpine CDE-147BT head unit
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" components in the front doors
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 5.5" components in the rear doors
-2 12" RE Audio SX Series subs
-Kicker DX1000.1 running the subs
-Alpine 240.4 running the doors
-Box designed and built by Kerry from Modesto. Tuned to ~35hz
-Stock Volvo 100amp alternator and new Volvo battery. Big three
-Nvx and GT Mat sound deadening in the trunk, rear shelf, and rear seat

The red 740 is now mostly parted. Here's the copypasta from my 242 thread, which I will delete to keep my clutter in one thread :nod:

So it's time to get the 242 registered again. Military service and a marriage/subsequent divorce set me back in life, but I still have this car and it's time to roll again :cool::nod:

Car is a 1981 242 turbo. Plan is to build my personal dream "GT" car. Good brakes but nothing excessive. Power without stressing about traction all the time. 5 or 6-speed manual transmission. Most important is effective and efficient A/C! I don't know why but I think a smooth, powerful car with working A/C is baller and awfully convenient in the California valley. I'd like a car that I can hop in and drive to the coast with my girlfriend for a weekend in the summer. Anyway, here's the ride:

When last running:

IPD lowering springs
All poly bushings
Bilstein HDs
RSI stage 1 cam (~2011 edition if that makes a difference)
Stock T3 turbo
B230 intake mani
90+ exhaust mani
Dave's adj. cam gear (one of the old red ones)
K-jet
AW71 from '90 740 turbo
Stock intercooler setup added
Custom E-fan (single 16")
A/C delete w/non AC bracket
Ebay BOV
Recaro vintage 1980's seats from a BMW (need to research what one exactly)
Terminal eleven fuel-cut delete
15psi
The car did multiple round trips between El Paso, TX and Modesto, CA on this setup. Currently torn down. Kjet removed. Plans coming together.

Plans:
B230ft from the '90 740
lh2.4
Azev type A's

Here is the car as it last rode on ATS Comp Lites

r5y53kal.jpg

Car ate a rod bearing in an "acceleration contest" with an RSX (I won :lol:)

hm70kJVl.jpg

So we put this together. Shout out to ryanfay for pulling the short block and dropping it off at my house while I was gone.

x4J0yeOl.jpg

y3U48xSl.jpg

I'm not chasing numbers with this car, and I plan on keeping it for as long as possible. I love it, it was the first car I ever got, and My ex-wife hates it so I want to pick my daughter up in it for yuks :lol: I love 242's, especially this one that has so many memories attached to it.

Here goes the rest of the adventure.

Last edited:
They're 5x108. This is Modesto Jason, new account. I need help finding a correct brake booster for this car. If anyone sees this and has one, let me know!

Captain Woosh's old car. It seemed like he was picking up enthusiasm for it again there for a bit. I guess it waned. Is king kong still in the trunk?

215/45s up front. 225/45s on the rear. Test fit. They are smooth compared to my titans.
20160902_182253_zps1kl7vqf2.jpg

King Kong is still in the trunk. Needs an update but you guys know the $$ train doesn't come by too often.

Last edited:
Are they polished and dull or just dirty silver? They don't look very good on that. Maybe it's just the weird angle and the kink in my neck from trying to look at it. :-P

They're dirty. Literally went from his garage to the tire shop. I honestly don't know if they're aluminum or something special, but a polish is coming on Sunday. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Definitely going polished

Edit: Looking at them this morning...the dull silver looks really "race car" and I kinda like it

Last edited:
They look better in black :-P

Nice car! You're never really out of the volvo game, just long breaks.

Car is sitting all right. Need to learn me some springs and get the springs, shocks, and struts replaced.

20160904_175639_zpsvsyiidjg.jpg

Scored some interesting speakers at Pick n Pull. In a 740 wagon. Found a matching pair :cool:
20160904_180133_zpshikgpo1j.jpg

20160904_180153_zpsgn7sipvo.jpg

20160904_180228_zps0cslaarm.jpg

All photos shot with a potato for your viewing pleasure. Can someone recommend me a decent, inexpensive camera with some quality?

Last edited:
An old Canon Powershot. The slim ones are compact and nice.

Really loving the wheels. Did Mr. Dremel cut out the wheel liner in the front?

Back