• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 estate front end

Further discovery determined that the wilwood spindle has an 11? KPI so I will have to decide If I need the 3? difference.

According to Herb Adams this is on the long side, he says normally 5 to 10?. Rowley doesn't give norms.

More research....

What do you want this thing to do? It's not all KPI - the rest of the suspension geometry is very 1950's conceptually. Now, I don't want to poke the internet about these things but your average crap can FWD anything can out handle a stock 122. The brakes are good for 1965 - less so today. I thought they were too expensive to rebuild so I designed that brake adapter mentioned above. The Wilwood conversion is a good one - cheap, pad options, rotor options and mostly OTS. No reason to not do it unless you're an originality person.

The larger issue is roll centre/roll centre migration, lack of camber gain, minimal castor and the long LCA (which won't be an issues with that Sweet rack - just get the Ackermann done properly).

What do you want this thing to do? It's not all KPI - the rest of the suspension geometry is very 1950's conceptually. Now, I don't want to poke the internet about these things but your average crap can FWD anything can out handle a stock 122. The brakes are good for 1965 - less so today. I thought they were too expensive to rebuild so I designed that brake adapter mentioned above. The Wilwood conversion is a good one - cheap, pad options, rotor options and mostly OTS. No reason to not do it unless you're an originality person.

The larger issue is roll centre/roll centre migration, lack of camber gain, minimal castor and the long LCA (which won't be an issues with that Sweet rack - just get the Ackermann done properly).

And you already know this Craig, but that Wilwood kit is is night and day difference over stock. The only issue I have found is that the 2 piece rotors often warp just a smidge, and wilwood also recommended that I have them at least checked for runout.

I am currently working on a cradle type rack and pinion set up like this for my 66 Amazon

168891539.jpg

I have it all mostly worked out, just need to finish fabbing it up.

I am only looking at the spindle there will be little to nothing OEM inboard of the spindle.

If you make that C-Notch larger you can improve a lot of things with OTS parts. You can also fill it in and then have the UCA go through the inner fender. Sort of depends on what you're designing the suspension to do.

Back