• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B6304+t Budget Build:

Could you not get a 90deg angle adapter made up to go on that manifold where the turbo would normally mount which would then allow you to position the turbo away from the head, and even forward or backwards in the engine bay, would surely be simpler and cheaper than having to get a custom manifold with 6 runners!?

Could you not get a 90deg angle adapter made up to go on that manifold where the turbo would normally mount which would then allow you to position the turbo away from the head, and even forward or backwards in the engine bay, would surely be simpler and cheaper than having to get a custom manifold with 6 runners!?

I have seen one setup where they ran the exhaust almost in a U shape from the manifold down, out and up to hold the turbo.

That said, it seems like bottom mount might work? Planned turbo is pretty small.

I have seen one setup where they ran the exhaust almost in a U shape from the manifold down, out and up to hold the turbo.

That said, it seems like bottom mount might work? Planned turbo is pretty small.

or...just build a y-pipe from the stock manifolds. If you can't figure out how to do that, the rest of this project might be beyond your scope of abilities.

or...just build a y-pipe from the stock manifolds. If you can't figure out how to do that, the rest of this project might be beyond your scope of abilities.

Avoiding fab as much as I can but if it comes to it I'll suck it up. Otherwise I'm not too worried abilities wise, it's more down to laziness than anything else. What I don't know, I'll learn.

As much as I hate twin turbos, in this situation I'd be really tempted to just bolt on the stock s80 twins.

I'm leaning that way, although I'd have to run two oil and two coolant lines. The setup I've been looking at up until now is an oilcooled .60 chinabay turbo.
If the turbo side flange on the T6 manifolds are workable for TD04s I guess I could put a pair of those on... Scope is creeping here though.

Monty400K, it seems like it would clear the mount. Still waiting on the manifold to arrive to see where I'm at.

Also, an XDF for B6304 on ME4.4 is being worked on. So at least I should be able to pull timing.

Topic: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=347374
XDFs: https://github.com/pulsatemedia/Volvo-B3604-Tuning-Files-Tunerpro-XDF-Motronic

They don't clear the engine mount do they so that means you'll need to make an exhaust manifold regardless, right?
Only small cut/grind needed to the mount for the front turbo with T6 stuff if that's what you mean. Water pipe on the side of the block has to be modified. I did it with RWD and T6 pipes.

Only small cut/grind needed to the mount for the front turbo with T6 stuff if that's what you mean. Water pipe on the side of the block has to be modified. I did it with RWD and T6 pipes.

That's great, I thought single turbo was only option, will the stock management work if I fit twins to my 3.0?

That's great, I thought single turbo was only option, will the stock management work if I fit twins to my 3.0?

I have a '97 960... as best as I can tell from spending way too much time looking into it. It won't run very well even on low boost because the stock injectors only flow 208cc/min (by comparison 99-06 T6 injectors 329cc). You could up the fuel pressure some, but it's probably still not going to add a lot more power, in fact I'd say add pressure for safety vs making more power.

at the same time, the T6 injectors look like they would be out of the 25% adaptation range of the ECU, so it's going to be running very rich and throw a check engine light until you figure out how you want to correct that: Tune, rising rate fuel pressure regulator or playing with MAF signals/housing sizes.

Between the aggressive ignition advance curve and the 10.7:1 compression, you need to tread carefully with boost.

If your car has a Motronic 4.4 ECU checkout this topic: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=347374

Details of what I'm testing and have discovered, here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=347308

Last edited:
Depending how the turbos line up. This could be a cheap way to get 2x TD04s on there. Although I suspect there’s a reason it hasn’t been tried.

Cut the manifold at three cylinders, weld a butt onto the end.

a3ff0422ba78375f3aadee8b58136615ca0c73a4.jpeg

That or cut of the flange on the TD03\T6 manifold and see if a T4 can go on there.

Last edited:
uh, its made to be a bottom mount manifold on the BMWs. Think about the shape of the turbo trying to use it top mount.

I got a little time a couple of weeks ago, placed the manifold in position for fun and were so right it's funny. Looks like it might work as bottom mount in the 960 with a small turbo.
Not using an external wastegate gives me a bit more room between the manifold and firewall

I made a quick vid of unboxing the manifold. Didn't get anything of placing it ran out of time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMGn2IWEugk

Last edited:
This is a standalone ECU I could stomach price wise. $290. He has six cyl available too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...frcectupt=true&campid=5338472460&toolid=20008

$1000 +/- is more than I'm willing to spend. But $300 I could go for. Plus I won't need to buy a boost controller, so I'd save some cash there.
Thinking I'll buy another 4.4 ECU, rip the connector out of it and jump the pins from the MS to the connector so I can keep the stock connector and wire loom for the ME 4.4.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pricey. I hit up the local junkyard for a couple NA 5-cyl manifolds (the 850 and early S70 are tubular), cut the runners off, and made two three-hole flanges. Then I just whipped up a log manifold using those. In retrospect, the yoshi isn't that bad, but I'm in canada, so that $75 would have come to $175 after shipping and exchange. If I was in the states, I'd have bought one.

Back