• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Even after going over the mounts and how to adjust them and explaining caster first and then seeing what kind of camber is possible, the guy working on the car clearly didn't know what the hell was going on. It looks like he tried to set camber first and then tried to pry the mount forward to get caster right.

I'm seriously at a loss, I have no idea how 1) someone could not understand how the adjustment of these worked and 2) how it would be totally legit to pry and damage parts and a car that the owner clearly cares about.

The owner is supposed to call me today to work out how they can "make things right". If we get resistance... well my attorney wife has been kinda light at work, so...

Driver's side:
20180514_183329 by D H, on Flickr

Passenger side:
20180514_185818 by D H, on Flickr

Nice to see that bar all cleaned up, glad it's going to work for you!

Car looks great!

Thanks. For whatever reason the tabs on the brackets were not right. I've ground them off and I'm going to reweld them. Not sure why one side was welded at the wrong angle.

Wow, that is unbelievable...but then I've seen some weird things roll into our shop after someone else tried similar approaches to other automotive repairs. :grrr:

Hope the owner makes it right for you.

I dont understand why alignment techs insist on trying to move things with prybars when the weight of the vehicle is on the car. They are so lazy. :grrr:

I dont understand why alignment techs insist on trying to move things with prybars when the weight of the vehicle is on the car. They are so lazy. :grrr:

It's worse than that. I think he was pushing in to get the camber and then trying to pry to get caster. Think about that for a moment... that's not how these slotted mounts work.

It's worse than that. I think he was pushing in to get the camber and then trying to pry to get caster. Think about that for a moment... that's not how these slotted mounts work.

I dont understand how someone who has ever aligned a car before wouldn't look at this for 30 seconds and have it be extremely obvious. :help:

Thanks. For whatever reason the tabs on the brackets were not right. I've ground them off and I'm going to reweld them. Not sure why one side was welded at the wrong angle.

Oh no that?s awful what they did D:

Also yeah - I know it?s supposed to run along the firewall/wiper trough, but the car I found it on had it backwards, going over the center of the engine. Maybe they messed with it somehow when they installed it.

Good luck with the damage! I can?t even begin to imagine how livid I would be...

Does it at least drive straight now? That seriously sucks. Once you put the first dent in wouldn't you stop?

You'd think they'd look at the car and kindof assume that prying on things would be no bueno, right? Nope, it's not aligned; it's more off than when I took it in. I told them to stop immediately and just back it out.

Good luck with the damage! I can’t even begin to imagine how livid I would be...

Thanks. I'll get it worked out and I'll get that bar installed. :)

Oh no that?s awful what they did D:

Also yeah - I know it?s supposed to run along the firewall/wiper trough, but the car I found it on had it backwards, going over the center of the engine. Maybe they messed with it somehow when they installed it.

Good luck with the damage! I can?t even begin to imagine how livid I would be...
Wait, I got mine on backwards?
9843659303_21d7c2e259_b.jpg

Wait, I got mine on backwards?

Damn I always forget that the 7/940s have different drainage channels. On the 960s the drainage channel fits perfectly with the bar -

57Uor1Il.jpg

In my case, the AC dryer was in the way....

I’m full of all kinds of bad info lately D:

Last edited:
Even after going over the mounts and how to adjust them and explaining caster first and then seeing what kind of camber is possible, the guy working on the car clearly didn't know what the hell was going on. It looks like he tried to set camber first and then tried to pry the mount forward to get caster right.

I'm seriously at a loss, I have no idea how 1) someone could not understand how the adjustment of these worked and 2) how it would be totally legit to pry and damage parts and a car that the owner clearly cares about.

The owner is supposed to call me today to work out how they can "make things right". If we get resistance... well my attorney wife has been kinda light at work, so...

Driver's side:
20180514_183329 by D H, on Flickr

Passenger side:
20180514_185818 by D H, on Flickr

O no!!! What have they done??? :-(

Volvo has an longer caster rod (396mm) if you want more caster. Or it was to much now?

As we say in the South, "You can't fix stupid".

Collect the $$$ for damages, tape off your BNE top hats and sneak in there with a dremel to top off that damage.
Done carefully (as you can't Undo it) and bottle of OEM touchup paint...... you'll have to look for it to find it.

Sorry Dustin..... yet another example why I don't let anyone work on my vehicles sans the tire changers.

Thanks Duane. They paid me well for the damages. Now to order replacement mounts and sort things out for good.

So this is the after... first picture is the rougher side. I used a hammer and dolly to flatten the pry marks. I'm going to put things together this weekend and then I can sand it and smooth it out some after everything is done. I'm still frustrated that such a stupid thing happened, but it'll be fine.

20180608_083418 by D H, on Flickr

20180608_083403 by D H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back