• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DriftsNLifts Header dyno test

Yes John, toot your own horn about how you're right in your own small mind and some Nordic guy proves you right.
Nobody gives a damn about your cranky old opinions or desire to be a pain in the ass. In reality, this is turbobricks, not naturally-aspirated (and barely usable power band) bricks.

Moderators, my apologies for opening up this pile up. I'll return to my prior state.

False. A LOT of us on this forum respect John's opinion and knowledge. He definitely has a way with words when it comes to posting, (nothing but love for you John V,) but if you take the time to actually pay attention to what he is saying, you'll learn a TON from him.

Look man, you're young, we get it. We all were at one point or another. But you'll learn a hell of a lot more, and be miles ahead if you can remove your cranium from your anus and listen to those who have already been down the path many times, probably before you were even conceived.

I stck around and listen to people who have tangible experiences and who aren?t complete jack off?s and jerks.
: he says in reference to one of the board members who has realistically some of THE most tangible experience levels in this community, while saying it TO a board member who has a fair amount himself. :pow:

You're not doing yourself any favors here bud. Maybe you'd be better off hanging out on the TB group on Facebook? They seem to be more your speed, (at least until the Eric gets ahold of a seriously idiotic/derailed thread and lays the smack down.) :lol:

https://youtu.be/soxSaJNMq_E

He slapped a ported 531 head on that was shaved 2.5mm and had a Timos 13.10 cam in it. 171whp and 155lb-ft of torque.

I want to see the AFR, because that powerband under 4500 when it comes “on cam” looks like total crap. It may be legit, but I wonder. Still using the B230 intake manifold!

I also wonder what it would look like with the K cam back in it...

Last edited:
It may be related to the fact that he's using forum lore to time the cam rather than going with a mm lift at TDC spec.

Could be that the header and cam are well matched and it's like flipping a switch. I want to see it run with the factory exhaust back on it.

I guess the factory intakes aren't soooo bad...

Could be that the header and cam are well matched and it's like flipping a switch. I want to see it run with the factory exhaust back on it.

I guess the factory intakes aren't soooo bad...

I'd hold off on that until a decent intake manifold goes in.

It may be related to the fact that he's using forum lore to time the cam rather than going with a mm lift at TDC spec.
He did say he tried another setting but I don?t know if ignition was the wrong direction or just not right. Timos Motor dynoed this cam at 213hp with Lh2.4, and I?m not sure what intake it used but it was with larger valves.
Allow me to rephrase:

Perhaps factory intake manifolds perform better than the internet speculates, with no scientific research.

Not saying you can't do better, but 171 at the wheel is pretty fair.
171whp is indeed fair, but the B230 intake manifold is definitely not good. This thing should wake up nicely with a different intake manifold and some more camshaft timing tweaking.

Allow me to rephrase:

Perhaps factory intake manifolds perform better than the internet speculates, with no scientific research.

Not saying you can't do better, but 171 at the wheel is pretty fair.

Not really. Some of us test these things, some do these things. It has been discussed ad-nauseum on the swedish forums, and their findings and results back up other independent tests. It is a choke point. is it THE choke point? opinions vary. Are we talking NA? then yes, and if dyno test dude would post a datalog of one of the pulls I have a feeling things could be learned.

But it seems they're more interested in HAWT TAEKS and VIEWS BRAH (dramatic overstatement) than looking at all of the data available. To be clear, I'm not looking for some sort of smoking gun in the log to prove/disprove the dyno, it's doubtful such would even be in the log in the first place, and at any rate, I don't have that kind of axe to grind. Not all that many people on this side of the pond mess with NA stuff and post about it, and I'm curious.

The power is fine, even if the dyno is high by 10whp or 10% or hell even 20% it's still making good power. It's also right around where the stock intake maxed out on the flow bench.

looking on some dynonumbers from some swedish guys and i even saw those cars in natura some days in vallkokra, the 8v Intake cant be that bad.. looking at the 16v intake: just watch the hedberg 740 video, it cant be that bad either..

but that is for turbocars... long runners for upper rpm carnage.. ITBs.. who knows..

the 16v manifold is not great at all. it looks like it would be alright but the runners are too narrow (As are the ports in the head right there at the flange). an upgraded intake manifold was worth somewhere around 70whp on mine back in the day, AND extended out the powerband on stock cams to 7k.

but for a lot of folks here and probably even in sweden, power goals don't typically dictate spending the money on swapping and fabricating whatever is needed to get an aftermarket manifold to work. 250-300hp turbo car? wouldn't worry about. sub 400hp 16v car, wouldn't worry about it there either. and I'm talking whp, not crank.

Not really. Some of us test these things, some do these things. It has been discussed ad-nauseum on the swedish forums, and their findings and results back up other independent tests. It is a choke point. is it THE choke point? opinions vary. Are we talking NA? then yes, and if dyno test dude would post a datalog of one of the pulls I have a feeling things could be learned.

Alright, I concede. Given that my background is domestic V8s, when someone says "you can't make power with component X", I'm thinking something akin to Pontiac 301 cylinder heads. If you can make ~200bhp at 6600 rpm with a factory intake on a 2 valve 4 cyl displacing 2.3l on 30 year old technology, that has exceeded my expectations. Perhaps my expectations are more conservative than some of my colleagues here.

Again, I'm not saying you can't do better. I'm just surprised it did that well.

This conversation has been going on for...ever.
With all makes and models.
Very rarely will you find a vehicle with a single seriously weak link.
This is a case of all of them being equally weak...or strong.
That means it was well engineered for its purpose out of the box...optimized for its use.
Changing out a single thing MAY get gains...a cam is probably the best bet because they were detuned.
Headers won’t give you power because the system is limited across the board.
An intake...meh, the head is pretty well saturated.
Head work, headers ANDintake and a cam...now you’re talking.

Or...as JVL points out.
Cheat and put a blower on the SOB so thos limits are less of a problem.
They are still there but you have swept them under the rug.

As for the test...that’s what it shows..assuming that the tuning was done competently. It shows that that header doesn’t overcome the rest of the system or eliminate a substantial weakness in the stock unit for that mi,d motor.

I thought the video was interesting.

I think it's cool you did it and put it on a dyno to see what the real numbers are. At the end of the day it's your car and if you're happy with it then that's all that really matters. Sure a turbo would make more power for cheaper but you're the one driving it at the end of the day. Just don't take anything on here too personal.

Back