• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Does not start

2 old for this

Went to the store which is a 20 miles round trip. Later in the day went to put it in the garage-no start. It is a 2.4 system. Did all the fast easy checks found no spark.it has power at the coil. Swapped coil and power stage. Jumped cps. Still no spark so it?s down to the ecu which I don?t think there is a extra in my hoard. Out of time, this will have to wait.

Not sure if you have a 200 or 700/900 series car, Here are a couple initial things to check with the fuel system from a 240 perspective:

1) Is your fuel pump energizing when the ignition is put in the #2 position? You should hear the whir of the pump for a second or two while it pressurizes the line. The fuel pump relay will click when the key is turned to the #2 position. You can bypass the FI relay with a single wire, look at Dave Barton's site for the instructions to do that. If you don't feel or hear this click would suspect the FI relay or the 25 Amp fuse.

2) FI relay is powered by the 25 amp fuse found in the white holder near the coil (93 240s are a bit different). These can look good but the wiring inside the plastic can be corroded. If this fuse is blown on nor letting electrons through, the FI relay will not be active and you fuel pumps wont fire,

3) What ECU do you have? If its an original Pink Label one, then that would also be suspect part as well.

4) Have you hooked a timing light up to the car? Is is there is no strobes or does it strobes when starting to crank the engine and when you stop?

Thanks for the replies. The car is a 1978 Bertone that has been updated with the complete drive train including the anti lock brakes and a/c from a 1990 240. Being a Volvo tech since 1974 and owning my own shop since 1992, it surprises me that one of my own cars would dare to lay down. Many have gone to the crusher for less infractions.

Jumped cps. There may be the problem. 2.2 system you can disconnect the plug from the the dizzy, scratch the terminals with a paper clip and the system will fire. I don’t know why I thought this would work on the cps. Thank you Apachechf for your post.

Got back on the no start. After changing the cps it fired right up. Old one was a oem with the white stripe.

Back