• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Power steering fluid spraying out of reservoir.

Trevor57

Our Lemons car is a +t 245, and has been without power steering for many years. Recently we added back the power steering with an ac delete bracket. I was reminded of one of the reasons we eliminated the PS in the first place, since there was fluid in the engine bay, appearing to be coming from the res.

I think I may try to find an ud pulley, but I am assuming that an under drive pulley will need to be fabricated, or sourced custom. However, if anybody has one please let me know. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Is it a Saginaw pump? In my experience that is a common mode of failure for those. I don't understand it, but I finally figured out what those foam rings that sit around the cap are for. They contain the expelled fluid to running down the reservoir rather than spraying.

Have you installed a power steering cooler yet? Those are critical imo

Yeah, your fluid is boiling over. Its a hydraulic system and the excessive (for the design load anyway) steering input is causing the fluid to expand and puke out of the top cap.

Buy a stacked plate type cooler (not fin-tube) and put a thermostatically controlled fan on it. That should solve your problem.

I had issues with my autocross car until I switched to a synthetic fluid (redline).

I would strongly suggest a cooler for a lemons car that will see hours of continuous use in the hot months. And use synthetic fluid, too.

We ran a billet aluminum underdrive pulley on our B230 in lemons. But no power steering on our car.

I have this issue as well, it really started once I started turning ~7k rpm. An underdrive crank pulley helped a fair amount, I now get weeping instead of spraying. I had not considered a cooler, but I am now!

Back