• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Starter removal tips

colgate41

I just wanted to share a little tip for removing the starter on 740s. I suspect my starter is bad but I wanted to test it off the car. Cut to me cursing under the car and trying every extension/univesial joint I had to no avail.

I read up on removing it here and other Volvo forums but felt like I was out of luck. Then it hit me! A stubby wrench! I went out and bought a stubby 18mm wrench that is about 5? long. It fits perfect on the top starter bolt and then all you need is a piece of wood and a hammer. Get the wrench on the bolt, position the wood on the wrench (closer to the firewall) and give it a good smack or two. The bolt should break free and you know the rest.

Anyway, just wanted to share Incase this helps anyone in the future.

Attachments

• 92B34A67-1B05-4A91-8E36-81D3836527A5.jpg
    92B34A67-1B05-4A91-8E36-81D3836527A5.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 53382991-150D-4BA1-A140-B551DBEF8085.jpg
    53382991-150D-4BA1-A140-B551DBEF8085.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 327B7F3A-21F3-42EC-84A1-DAA689FADB0F.jpg
    327B7F3A-21F3-42EC-84A1-DAA689FADB0F.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the tip with photos! I knew I having a hammer in my mechanics toolbox would be useful. My brother asked me why I put a hammer in every tool box I have...
:)

Just hope it helps someone down the road! I have a one year old now so I can't be wrenching away for days on end to remove one bolt :rofl:

Nice help with the removal process, tight areas suck

Is bench testing starters a trusted practice?

In my experience with last 3 starters that failed, the bench test off the car has always tested them good. But with out load it's hardly testing anything. First time this happened to me I was 100% the starter was good because advanced auto put it on their bench tester and it spun freely with no problems. Put it on the car and nothing...

Nice help with the removal process, tight areas suck

Is bench testing starters a trusted practice?

In my experience with last 3 starters that failed, the bench test off the car has always tested them good. But with out load it's hardly testing anything. First time this happened to me I was 100% the starter was good because advanced auto put it on their bench tester and it spun freely with no problems. Put it on the car and nothing...

Went out the other day and not nothing. No clicks, nothing. Battery I brand new and power is getting to the starter. Figured I?d get it off and test it but I have a feeling it?s done. Looks really old and may have taken some water at some point.

Use a breaker bar in a vertical position to drop down and wack the starter on the solenoid a few times. If it works just keep a bar with you tiill you change it. I think the solenoids get sticky. Mine only did it when the engine and driveline were hot. Be careful of the battery connection and hit the solenoid further back.

I just use a 1/2" impact gun, extension, and a universal joint- ZIP ZIP!

Is that a battery, electric cord or air gun?

I just use a breaker bar in a vertical position along the firewall...crack goes the bolt.

Posted via Mobile Device

I just use a 1/2" impact gun, extension, and a universal joint- ZIP ZIP!
Me too. Milwaukee electric impact FTW.

Is that a battery, electric cord or air gun?

I just use a breaker bar in a vertical position along the firewall...crack goes the bolt.

Posted via Mobile Device
How does a breaker bar fit? All mine would be hitting the firewall of the car if they were angled up even with a short socket. Especially on a 240.

Me too. Milwaukee electric impact FTW.

How does a breaker bar fit? All mine would be hitting the firewall of the car if they were angled up even with a short socket. Especially on a 240.

Only works on a 7/9 with the hood at 90 degrees.

Breaker bar along the firewall...extensions as needed added to the handle...crack.

It's tight but it can be done.

Posted via Mobile Device

Only works on a 7/9 with the hood at 90 degrees.

Breaker bar along the firewall...extensions as needed added to the handle...crack.

It's tight but it can be done.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hm. Works on both of the top ones? I?ve never had enough room. I?ll have to try again.

I haven't turned a bolt by hand in a while. I use electric tools mainly. In this case I would be using my 1/2" air gun. I have heard good reviews about the Milwaukee 1/2" impact. Their 3/8" electric ratchet broke too fast on me twice.

picture.php

Last edited:
I haven't turned a bolt by hand in a while. I use electric tools mainly. In this case I would be using my 1/2" air gun. I have heard good reviews about the Milwaukee 1/2" impact. Their 3/8" electric ratchet broke too fast on me twice.

picture.php

Was it a fuel model? I?ve used their 1/4 driver, and their 3/8 & 1/2 impact wrenches. All fuel, all are badass. Also used their ratchets. Can?t go wrong. I?d put money down that the 1/2" fuel is stronger than your air impact

Back