• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V70R 2005 no more AWD

Ingo-960SE

Hello,

my AWD on my V70R 2005 gave up last week and I'm hoping anyone of you can help to find the reason and/solution.

A few words about the car:
- I have no error message in BCM or fault code of DEM in VADIS.
- DEM was replaced 2015 (new by Volvo dealer) after sealing gave up and PCB was damaged.
- Cleaned the fuse of DEM in REM. Fuse is okay. BCM reacts on removal of fuse with DSTC error message.
- Sleeve was replaced (and well greased) 2019 when gearbox was changed. Shafts/gearing looks good on M66 and angle gearbox.
- no noise from below, no impact or sth. which could mean a mechanical fault
- Haldex oil + filter was changed two years ago, el. pump changed 6 years ago

I got the following data from VADIS while driving:
-4 identical wheel rotation signals (increasing with actual driving speed)
-around 14.xx voltage
-around 0.29xx pressure (no unit shown by VADIS)
-Solenoid between 13xx-14xx (no unit shown by VADIS)
-Oil temp starting at 0 and increased up to 20 while driving after cold start (no unit shown by VADIS)
-there was some pump current shown but I don't remember the value

I've read that a faulty pressure/temp sensor or solenoid of the DEM can result in disfunction of the AWD w/o showing any fault code.
Do the above mentioned signals point to an faulty sensor or solenoid?

Any other ideas what could be broken w/o giving a fault code?

Many thanks!

Ingo

How have you confirmed the AWD is not working?

The pressure sensor being causing the AWD to not work, is more of a lag in the system engaging, but the system still works.

Have you crawled under the car and tried to turn the prop shaft back and forth by hand? This would be my first step if I have no warning message or codes.

Jordan

Steering wheel is suddenly fluttering during full throttle acceleration (does it not with working AWD!) and to be absolutely sure I went on snow and checked if there's any traction. It isn't! Just a flickering orange light in the BCM and all the electronics and hydraulics try desperately to reduce wheel spin :). Last year we went on a winter driving training on snow and it was fun to see how fast a Volvo with proper working AWD can accelerate from 0-80kph uphill :cool:

I didn't check underneath yet as I didn't hear any rumbling or so. The sleeve is quite new and everything serviced regularly. There was no impact which could mean a mechanical failure. Just on one day it started going left-right-left-right-left... during acceleration and you can feel it also on the steering wheel. But I will check the prop shaft in the coming days though I guess the drive train in front of the Haldex clutch should be okay.
Are there any experiences about the clutch itself giving up after some mileage?! I mean there's wear and after some time the gap between the clutch discs might become too large for power transmission???

Ingo

Back