• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo Upgrade Options for 94 B230FT Rebuild? Help Me Decide.

Roguls

It seems as though I may not be receiving my 15G as planned because of a shady character on this board. That being said:

I need to research what a good turbo upgrade option would be for my 94 b230ft rebuild. I want to run upwards of 18 lbs of boost eventually...

I have v15cam and 2.5 ipd exhaust as well. Garrett? Mitsu? I am now at the starting point for my plans for the turbo.

This car will be a daily driver, so I don't want anything TOO huge; I want a nice powerful upgrade.

first off, a 3" exhaust will make it a lot easier to get to 18lbs
might check out www.atpturbo.com they sell garrett ball bearing turbos that will give you awesome spool and great flow...check out the GT28RS as an option, or a bigger option would be the GT30R.
they arent cheap, but they are choice turbos!

standard td05 16g would make a nice DD upgrade & still be fun for cutting loose at the track on the weekends 8-)

coldfusion21 said:
is the difference between the 15g and 16g a big one? i swear i have seen 15g's with oem volvo tags, does that mean they came stock on some car? if so which one?

coem on 850's but not all are 15g from what i understand so look into teh front wheel drive cars. also need some work to fit rear wheel apps like our cars. rotating housing and wastegate mount and so forth.

No RWD volvo came with a 15G or bigger, so they will all take work.

Toby had a HELL of a time getting his 16G to bolt up, actually iirc he couldn't use a 90+ manifold. That being said, I believe it was a "I think he bought the wrong exhaust housing 16G so they made it work" issue, but Im not sure.

TaderSalad said:
No RWD volvo came with a 15G or bigger, so they will all take work.

Toby had a HELL of a time getting his 16G to bolt up, actually iirc he couldn't use a 90+ manifold. That being said, I believe it was a "I think he bought the wrong exhaust housing 16G so they made it work" issue, but Im not sure.

:e-shrug: roto re me's dropped right on.. used a 12b housing... and early style manifold

linuxman51 said:
[quote:c8e873a4c6="TaderSalad"]No RWD volvo came with a 15G or bigger, so they will all take work.

:e-shrug: roto re me's dropped right on.. used a 12b housing... and early style manifold[/quote:c8e873a4c6]

Roto ro me's is a td05 16G mine's is a Td05H big 16G and I believe we both are using the old style manifold with the through bolts.

My main problems were as folows. Nothing too dificult, but i expected a drop in turbo.

Needed to fab a bracket on the WG to get aournd the oil return line.
Couldnt use the new style manifold (needed through bolts)
Had to retap the oil feed banjo fitting, to fit the volvo ones
Used npt fitings on the water cooling lines
NO pressure signal onthe compressor housing (getting it form IC pipe, but will tap the housing some time soon)

Unexpected: old style manifold replacemnt was warped and needed rib seperators to get it no the head. Solution, got a different one.
2 manifold gaskets were stuck together and caused a major leak, needed to replace them. The new turbo and manifold changed the positions of the down pipe, which made my 3" rub on the frame (my exahust shop fixed it for free)

That was about it... it works now :wave:

so minor unexpecteds suck, but they are to be expected hehe
so I vote once again for a "normal" 16g (shaddup tadder before i make you a supersized box of frenchie fries)
a 60 trim with a .48 turbine housing might be fun

if you want insane, a t3/t4 would be a blast, but you'd hafta pack some serious fuel & ignition mods to make any kinda practical use out of it

W/out all the abbreviations and volvo code words , cansomeone Puh leez Help ? I want to upgrade my turbo in my 91 740 wagon B230ft. As of right now the car has these mods... manual boost controller, Lost art of main computer chippy , I cant remember but I think it has an ezk chippy as well , Real fresh air sealed ram air system , currently has a straight thru exhaust w/only a muffler . Now,Then these are the pieces Ive gathered and work recently done , timing belt , front seals,water pump ,new radiator, GIANT ISUZU intercooler CFR ? brand, new air cleaner , coming up new cap/rotor,intake manifold gasket,with throttle body gasket , coolant sensor, crank position sensor , complete stainless steel 3" downpipe and exhaust thru magnaflow 3" stainless muffler ,AEM wideband ,silicone hoses ... furthermore I'm game for larger injectors { if someone wants to suggest which I should get } and maybe even a cam upgrade { make suggestion please } the car has quite a few miles 230,000 ish ,and never opened up , for now I dont want to do internals etc *********** Im basically looking for a good somewhat drop in TURBO upgrade , that might work W/ my new pipe ,but want as much bang for my buck ? Im very open to suggestions as this car is a keeper sleeper my SS so to speak Sveedish Sleeper I also plan on future head work/cam etc etc but like Horschack " I'm so confused ' 15 G ,!6 G ,18T.19 T , I see some nice refurbbed units on line etc / ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED Thanxz Again Ben

Back