• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

annoying heater core/blower motor issues

yugo4life

So I picked up a 1984 244 GL in October for DD duties knowing that the heater core and blower motor were both bad. I have since replaced both and the resistor, but I ran into a couple of minor issues.

1. The new core is not the Volvo style core and I do notice a difference in heat from side to side. The passenger side is warmer than the drivers. Is it possible to switch the hoses in the engine bay so the hotter side is on the driver side? I know there is a heater valve under the blower box that allows flow into the heater core, but I couldn't think of any issues that would be caused with reversing flow. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. I had to dremel the bosses off the heater box as shown on cleanflametrap, but after doing so, the driver side fan rubs the inside plenum. I had read where just running it for a bit would wear it away, but that does not seem to be the case and gets better or worse when I take hard sharp turns. Could I have assembled the fan wrong? I thought it just slid on the shaft and you added the little clip. If nothing else, I can just remove the motor and epoxy a few washers on it to space it back out.

Obviously, none of these issues are that big, but I would really like to do the job right (at least as right as possible) and little details like this make the difference between a nice classic and an old heap.

Thanks for the help!

When the imbalance happened to me I just lived with it. Just crank it up a bit more so your side is warmer. Or even better install a seat heater and enjoy direct warmth.

I refer you to this thread where we talked about the fans hitting. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5891713#post5891713
You have to take a look in there and see if the flats are all aligned or make up spacing like this person did.

When the imbalance happened to me I just lived with it. Just crank it up a bit more so your side is warmer. Or even better install a seat heater and enjoy direct warmth.

I refer you to this thread where we talked about the fans hitting. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5891713#post5891713
You have to take a look in there and see if the flats are all aligned or make up spacing like this person did.

Heated seats are definitely on the future list for this car!

That's what I was afraid of. The fans slid right onto the shaft so I didn't realize there were any flats to align. I may epoxy some spacers on the fan mounts if nothing else. At least I have the next week off to take a look at it!

Back