• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo hardware

Dirty Rick

Last time I installed the turbo I used good studs and crimped type lock nuts and in just a short while some of the nuts and studs had come loose.

This time I got new "turbo" locking nuts and more new hardened studs (not butter bolts).

I don't want the studs to come loose again and locktite has a 300? limit.

Any suggestions or tips?

Are you sure you haven't overtightened the nuts and pulled the studs out of the soft aluminum threads? I've used aftermarket hardware. Just has to be good quality stuff like the hardened studs and copper plated locking nuts. I've bought hardware from belmetric which one of our members here suggested I try.

Also make sure you are using the thick special washers on the locations that use them under the nuts.

When you install a turbo, after you tighten the gasket, you run it for a while, and then you re tighten the nuts after the gasket has settled and gone through some heat cycles, it'll tighten and be good to go

If you're using the flange type nuts with the anti spin garbage then you should be fine

Downpipe supported at the bellhousing flange using the appropriate strap? All who cantilever their exhaust against the 4 studs at that flange will eventually loosen/break them.

As Ken said.... stock (supports).

Last time I installed the turbo I used good studs and crimped type lock nuts and in just a short while some of the nuts and studs had come loose.

This time I got new "turbo" locking nuts and more new hardened studs (not butter bolts).

I don't want the studs to come loose again and locktite has a 300? limit.

Any suggestions or tips?

Were the threads in the cast iron mani clean before you screwed in your new studs with RED Loctite? The fuse in this system is the soft cast iron material; were your replacement studs full length to make use of the available thread depth? I understand the operating temps far exceed the Loctite, but those OEM Engineers kept them together somehow. As you know, there are "better" studs and also cheap CHINA studs. You must determine the origination of the failure to remedy.

Back