• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 144 Head Mods Questions

The F gasket is .039" compressed.

The B18 rods are notoriously weak. 6 bolt B20 rods are reinforced in the problem area and aren't a problem under 6500 rpm. 8 bolt B20 rods can be swapped for M rods if you don't think they're up to the task.

B20Rods2.jpg

Ian, What readily available B20 rods are best for using in a B18?

Are the rod lower end bores the same size as B18 rods or are the B20 rod lower end bores larger?

Thanks in advance.

Any B20 rod from a 6 bolt crank engine ('69-''73) will work. Except for the additional material added, it has the same dimensions as the B18 rod. Just make sure the rods are matched in weight as I've seen B20 rods with large variances.

6-bolt B20 rods are directly swappable for any B18 rods.

8-bolt B20 rods are not.

Any B20 rod from a 6 bolt crank engine ('69-''73) will work. Except for the additional material added, it has the same dimensions as the B18 rod. Just make sure the rods are matched in weight as I've seen B20 rods with large variances.

Many thanks to both of you!

Forgot to ask earlier, are the piston pin bushings the same size?

I AM still curious about the KGTrimning cams. Seems like they have a lot of really cool options. Any thoughts on if one of the guys here would compare to the Z-322? http://www.kgtrimning.org/tuning-special/b18b20b30/camshafts/

Mostly they seem to just have a lot of good cams focused on torque and lower revs.

KG-17 is a nice cam that I've used many times. The Schneider Racing 284 (if you have a blank for them to grind) is also great (with all the things you've already been told) or the Tinus tuning TT6. All of these are preferred options to the VV71 in my opinion.

KG-17 is a nice cam that I've used many times. The Schneider Racing 284 (if you have a blank for them to grind) is also great (with all the things you've already been told) or the Tinus tuning TT6. All of these are preferred options to the VV71 in my opinion.

Makes sense! I'm thinkin the Z-322 is a solid option.

You gonna come pick up some B21/B23 rods? Lemme know.
I must have piles I'm stumbling over. I can set some aside.

I am definitely interested! Ian was also mentioning using Chevy lifters with tubular pushrods - first step will be getting the cam in hand, I think, then going from there.

Hey John, I'm gonna go with the Nissan L28 valves as recommended (from 1976), and am going with the Isky springs. The machinist I'm working with (Brad), asked me to reach out and ask if the angle from the retainer to the locks from the Isky springs (3 groove) will work with the Nissan valves.

Hey John, I'm gonna go with the Nissan L28 valves as recommended (from 1976), and am going with the Isky springs. The machinist I'm working with (Brad), asked me to reach out and ask if the angle from the retainer to the locks from the Isky springs (3 groove) will work with the Nissan valves.

Almost certainly not..Those valve I was spossed to be getting should be shipping like NOW--8 hours ahead..
Been more than 30 yers since i fawk with L seris stuff but memory says they were single half round groove--which IS my favorite,* ..But L series has kinda small exhaust valves doesn't it?
Whatever the case, the valve locks again almost certainly have a different angle..The japanese always do splines and angles and junk different just to annoy you.

A cam is coming, by the way..

(i've been living the whole day IN the garage cleaning like a fool for over a week..So if you want updates, come by and visit...I'll let ya know when things are shipped.

* Ha! checked and yep half-round and intake is only 44mm so no bigger
RV8811__ra_p.jpg

and exhaust is a measly 35mm
RX9112__ra_p.jpg

As I thunk..
What's the point of that? That's small.

Hrmm, crazy. He snagged some 38mm exhaust. What are your thoughts on making that work with the stock retainers? Or will I need to go with some different springs to make that match as well?

I think the guys at AutoSport should be able to figure it out, and honestly I'm hoping the whole thing will be done within the next couple weeks! Isky cam is all ready to go and I have all the parts except for a correct mating of valves to springs. :D So excited!

I think the guys at AutoSport should be able to figure it out, and honestly I'm hoping the whole thing will be done within the next couple weeks! Isky cam is all ready to go and I have all the parts except for a correct mating of valves to springs. :D So excited!

You should have a second cam arriving here shortly..Probably smrat to compare numbers.

Back