• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about the 960 oil cooler thermostat

Ju1cE

Hey TB land,

Couple questions about the oil cooler thermostat from a 960 B6304, I have done some internet digging and not able to find much of anything, if any one has a link to where I can find the info that would be great.

I had leaking oil cooler lines and the oil cooler was a bit beat up so I decided to upgrade. Sadly this decision was made almost 2 years ago and it has been in pieces since (damn adulting)...but I digress.

My friend had a spare RX7 (FC) oil cooler and they do seem to be fairly popular for us pistons heads as well (good core size, good flow rate).

However the Mazda oil cooler has a thermostatic bypass built into the oil cooler (opens to the cooling fins between 140 and 149F).

I am wondering if anyone know the temp that Volvo opens their oil cooler at. If it is higher than 150F (which I think it might) would there be any harm in leaving them both in (other than having two failure points). Also any know which side of the oil cooler thermostat is out let and which side is return from cooler?

I cannot help on the Volvo side, but on the RX7 side -8AN and/or -10AN fittings are available which is nice for a clean install. I do not recall the store name, but there is a MAzda online vendor that makes them for the AN conversion.

Also the RX7 cooler t-stat can be gutted out if you so desire.

The RX7 cooler is great but just ensure it is clean and that you can physically fit that big ol thing as it is looong.

Thanks Pillow

Yeah have read about gutting the thermostat out of the cooler which I'm toying with. I was thinking banjo to -10an

And actually the cooler fits great above my massive intercooler, the sheet metal has already been molested to fit that haha

Back