• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Help - Where is this electrical wiring merge point located?

JerryJS8

der Junge
1991 740 turbo

Got a problem with my MAF and Idle control valve. Every now and then I get the 1-2-1 code, but no real drivability problems. At idle the control valve is lazy. Already renewed ALL the grounds, stripping the wire and soldering on a new connector, now it's the positive leads I'm after.

So in the picture I circled a point that I think might be a weak link causing both problems. Where is that thing located? Anyone already ripped apart a stock wiring harness and can give me a hint?

xgMBFjol.png

Well, I think I found the culprit, and I don't know if that spade connector wrapped in electrical tape is supposed to be there...

bQH5S4Jl.jpg

Crusty...

SZjRP7Dl.jpg

...and corroded

LpEtCf1l.jpg

That'll be the first thing I swap when I get back in the garage, but if anyone has a clue, I'd still like to know where that knot is.

The official greenbooks do a better job of showing connectors and branching points. If you can find a copy of "TP3908202 940 1995 Wiring Diagrams.pdf" it shows that branch point as "13/41" but doesn't show the location. (A greenbook for your 740 would be best but I didn't have one to check.) I'd guess the branch point is somewhere in the engine harness, and it may vary depending on turbo/non-turbo (MAF and RSR switch sides).

I'd try clipping a volt meter across the power and ground pins at the MAF connector and see what it reads at idle. Try wiggling the MAF/IAC/RSR and bulkhead connector wires and see if the voltage changes.

Appreciate the info bobxyz! That file is a good resource.

I found the branching point 13/41, it's behind the glovebox. Page 37 shows the location.

---------------------------------------

I replaced the crusty power supply wire with a fresh one, maybe that'll solve my problems. Otherwise I'll have to get to page 37ening it...

QHAHQqCl.jpg

lBSB2pdl.jpg

Back