• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

IPD intank fuel pump upgrade worth it?

JonnyScorch

Well i need a new sending unit(yay rust), and a new intank pump. I was browsing IPD and stumbled upon this: http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?s...ents=69,258,336&P_ID=412&CAT_ID=336&V_ID=1018

A new stock pump is $35 from fcp, and then add on the hoses and seals etc, it's a few bucks more for the upgrade but i wonder if it would be worth it on an NA 244. The possibility is there for a +t but i'd rather try out a chip, k cam, pulley, 16V injectors first and see what kinda potential there is for NA. I'm probably going to order the nifty intank tool(yay rust) from ipd so adding on the intank pump won't add much to the shipping.

Whatcha think!?

I'd rather not have a pump with a three year lifespan. The two pump setups seem to last a good long time, and in my mind provide a bit more of a feeling of security which is nice in a DD. For my 242 i'll probably be going for the walbro, but for the DD i'm thinking two pumps is better. With the upgraded intank i'm hoping if it will prolong the life of the main pump.

When my intake pump died last week (it was brand new a few years ago) the car would start and idle, but as soon as I touched the throttle it died. It's getting a walbro now. I don't want to **** with it anymore.

very rear for a intank pump to die in a few years. did you replace the sock? was it a after market pump?

two pumps = failure twice as probable

See, i don't get this... First off if my main pump dies i'm stranded, if the intank dies then i can still drive but it'll let me know somethings up because the main will make a bunch of noise, giving me a heads up. Also this is the first time i've had to even think about the fuel pumps on this car, so 17yrs is a pretty good run imo, compared to the three years a local buddies walbro lasted.

Anyways, my main pump is fine, so i'm not interested in ditching it, just replacing the intank pump when i replace the rusted out sending unit, and i'm wondering if spending an extra $30 or so for an upgraded intank pump is worth it.

if you want to keep the 2 pump configuration then the upgrade is probably not a bad idea, although you can just buy the later model pump, i don't think you need to purchase the "kit", as i expect you'll be pissing away a few extra bucks for some rubber hose and a fancy jimmysock ... but maybe i'm wrong (it's actually pretty likely, forget i said it).

when i did mine i bought the later model intank pump and the external version of the walbro, it was cheaper than the stock volvo external, probably more work/cash than was necessary but it was my first major repair on this car. if i had it to do again i would not bother with the intank, that said you're right the main pump will let you know when the intank is gone.

but there may be some issues with how much the walbro can suck through the intank, upgraded intank or not, that's why i'm thinking of replacing my intank with the walbro in the near future, just have to see if i get enough fuel or not as it is ...

if you want to keep the 2 pump configuration then the upgrade is probably not a bad idea, although you can just buy the later model pump, i don't think you need to purchase the "kit", as i expect you'll be pissing away a few extra bucks for some rubber hose and a fancy jimmysock ... but maybe i'm wrong (it's actually pretty likely, forget i said it).

when i did mine i bought the later model intank pump and the external version of the walbro, it was cheaper than the stock volvo external, probably more work/cash than was necessary but it was my first major repair on this car. if i had it to do again i would not bother with the intank, that said you're right the main pump will let you know when the intank is gone.

but there may be some issues with how much the walbro can suck through the intank, upgraded intank or not, that's why i'm thinking of replacing my intank with the walbro in the near future, just have to see if i get enough fuel or not as it is ...

So exactly which pump is the one in the "kit"? It sort of looks like a 740/940 variety, which i actually have laying around, but i'm not certain.

I would go with 1 intanke pump just for the sake of that terribly loud annoying whine of the under-carriage fuel pump

For an NA 240 I wouldn't bother. Just get the stock replacement from FCP. I am going to do this "upgrade" because IIRC the "upgrade" is a 740 Turbo pump and I am putting a B230FT in my car so the pump is getting upped too.

...Anyways, my main pump is fine, so i'm not interested in ditching it, just replacing the intank pump when i replace the rusted out sending unit, and i'm wondering if spending an extra $30 or so for an upgraded intank pump is worth it.

For a NA, you would not 'have' to go with the larger intank pump. BUT, it would not hurt to do so.

I've done it both ways for an NA car. And I decided after going with the 740T intank pump, that it was worth the extra $$ to do it. The chassis pump ran quieter than it had in a long time, on that particular car.

I think that you will be pleased with the results if you go with the 740T intank pump along with that shiny nice new sending unit.

And I suggest that a new hose from the sending unit to the chassis pump....SAE 30R7 in 7/16" diameter...will complete the job.

TF

For a NA, you would not 'have' to go with the larger intank pump. BUT, it would not hurt to do so.

I've done it both ways for an NA car. And I decided after going with the 740T intank pump, that it was worth the extra $$ to do it. The chassis pump ran quieter than it had in a long time, on that particular car.

I think that you will be pleased with the results if you go with the 740T intank pump along with that shiny nice new sending unit.

And I suggest that a new hose from the sending unit to the chassis pump....SAE 30R7 in 7/16" diameter...will complete the job.

TF

Thanks! This is what i was hoping to hear. With the DD, especially, i'd rather do a job properly the first time instead of making more work for me to do later. For instance i'm going ot be changing the hoses from the tank to main pumps as well, as the large one has a soft spot and for peace of mind. Hopefully all this combined with the fresh filter, and copper return line will mean no fuel worries for a good long time!

Thanks! This is what i was hoping to hear. With the DD, especially, i'd rather do a job properly the first time instead of making more work for me to do later. For instance i'm going ot be changing the hoses from the tank to main pumps as well, as the large one has a soft spot and for peace of mind. Hopefully all this combined with the fresh filter, and copper return line will mean no fuel worries for a good long time!

I replaced my in-tank with the upgraded pump BUT I got it at NAPA for $62. The IPD pump is the same, an AC Delco pump.
A few notes about the install, you'll need to cut the plastic ribs on the pump holder because it's a larger body. Unlike the IPD instructions, I did this and used the plastic holder, where they suggest to elliminate it. I also used some good zip ties not clamps, which have less interference and easier to install on the hose. Also, get the sock from Volvo or another store that has the newest Volvo design because the one that came with the pump is not a good fit, and the sender/pump goes in much easier than the old style. Also, use some very good quality hose FI rated thick wall, which is hard to find because it's metric and a SAE equivlent is not a good fit. I think this is especially true for the piece of return hose, which I got from Volvo at about the same price as the SAE hose from a parts store.
I made the sender removal tool after looking at the IPD catalog picture in about an hour with some cold rolled steel bar stock from Home Depot.
The additional flow is noticable for the N/A if you've got some extra rpm's and fuel mod's, kind of like what an accumulator will do for K-Jet car, prevents pressure drop in the lines under high demand flow. It will also make the main pump last a lot longer.

put two external walborows in paralled on redundant fuses and relays...
plumb in parallel, isolate with check valves...
use two legs of the bulb out indicator to show when one fails...
install engine in the airplane you use for your Daily Flier...

seriously...
if you upgrade to the wlaborow in the tank be sure the hose
running to the main pump is rated for fuel injection use...
the PO of mine didn't when he upgraded...scary

I replaced my in-tank with the upgraded pump BUT I got it at NAPA for $62. The IPD pump is the same, an AC Delco pump.
A few notes about the install, you'll need to cut the plastic ribs on the pump holder because it's a larger body. Unlike the IPD instructions, I did this and used the plastic holder, where they suggest to elliminate it. I also used some good zip ties not clamps, which have less interference and easier to install on the hose. Also, get the sock from Volvo or another store that has the newest Volvo design because the one that came with the pump is not a good fit, and the sender/pump goes in much easier than the old style. Also, use some very good quality hose FI rated thick wall, which is hard to find because it's metric and a SAE equivlent is not a good fit. I think this is especially true for the piece of return hose, which I got from Volvo at about the same price as the SAE hose from a parts store.
I made the sender removal tool after looking at the IPD catalog picture in about an hour with some cold rolled steel bar stock from Home Depot.
The additional flow is noticable for the N/A if you've got some extra rpm's and fuel mod's, kind of like what an accumulator will do for K-Jet car, prevents pressure drop in the lines under high demand flow. It will also make the main pump last a lot longer.

Cool, thanks for the tips! I'm hoping my mechanic has the proper metric hose. I definitely don't wanna cheap out on it. Do you have any pics of the tool you made? i have a few ideas but a few more never hurt. If it didn't take 3-4 weeks for shipping from IPD i would have already ordered the tool, but i'd rather get the car back on the road sooner rather then later.

Back