• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Do I have to remove brake lines to install new strut tube(coilovers)

ogamer777

New North Winchestersonville (PNW 425 gang)
As title states, I'm wondering if it's necessary to disconnect the brake lines in order to install a new strut tube assembly? In this case, coilovers from BNE. I have the brake line brackets that mount around the strut tube as well but only way I can think of getting the lines off the old assembly is cutting the brake line mounting bracket and sliding the lines out.

If I do disconnect the lines, am I looking at bleeding the brakes or would it be ok without?

It is possible to get the calipers off of the strut assembly without opening the brake lines, but you will have to cut the factory brake line brackets.

Any time the brake system is opened you need to bleed the brakes.

You can cut a slot in the original brake line brackets and slide the lines out. Then you can clamp them to the new tube with the new brackets from Ben. If you do separate them. Then yes you absolutely need to bleed the brakes after reassembly.

Any tips on cutting the old bracket without hitting the brake lines? I have a few different types of tools at my disposal. First thing that comes to mind if my electric grinder with a cutoff wheel.

I seem to recall me doing this on my mr2 a few years back.

Also, when taking the hub assembly off the fronts, do i need to replace the bearing and stuff or can I reuse them and just repack them? The outers are somewhat new, around 5-10k miles on them. The inners i dont recall ever replacing, but no noise or any signs of damage. I need to transfer the hub assembly to the new coilovers. Can i repack those as well?

Thanks guys, i will get those lines off without disconnecting them.

Now i am wondering about the bearings, since I am using new strut tube / spindle assemblies, that means i need to either reuse or install new bearings and races. I know there is a rubber seal on the spindle as well, where does that go exactly? I have to double check and see if the coilovers have those installed already or not. But i would like to be prepared since i usually dont have that much free time these days.

Clean and inspect the bearings and races. Replace as necessary.

Definitely get new seals, they're cheap.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7255/101454-front-wheel-seal-200

This is how you install the seal.

100-200SeriesFrontWheelSeal.jpg

Put it on dry but lube the part that touches the bearing retainer with a little bearing grease. Make sue it sits flat so it will make contact all the way around.

Back