• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pulling/Installing Redblock+Auto trans at the same time

iHateVolvoPeople

Just a quick question. Every time I?ve pulled either the engine or trans, I?ve done so separately (never needed to pull or install both at the same time for any reason).

Now, I?m working with a Regina automatic equipped 745 and recently pulled the aw70 with the engine still in place. Then I realized I?ll be pulling the engine anyway in order to reseal it and get it ready for boost.

Question is, if i have both units out can I assemble them fully and drop both in the car at the same time? I?m just worried that the unit will be too long or I won?t be able to get enough height. The radiator will be removed and now that I think about it, the front core support is suuuupper easy to remove on 7/9 cars, so if i removed that i could almost go straight in.

Basically just trying to save myself the headache of installing both units separately.

You have a bit more wiggle room in a 740 (AFAIK, I've never pulled an engine on one).

But I've pulled the engine/trans out as one piece multiple times on a 240, where the firewall is close in behind the cylinder head. With the radiator support in place, just the radiator pulled (and when it still had A/C, the condenser still in place).

It really helps to have a leveler bar on the engine hoist, as the angle needs to change quite a bit. And I'm not entirely sure if the car needs to be lifted up or not - I do that anyhow because my hoist has a 'wide stance' and the arms need to go under the front tires. So it's up on jack stands for clearance, can't recall if that's really needed to help the trans tail end clear or not.

The 16V motor had less clearance, I'd never tried pulling it in one piece because I didn't think it would work. But when I pulled it out to make way for the LS swap, I tried it together (16V + T5 trans) and it was fine.

On a 740 it works great since you can pull the radiator core support. On a 240 it's welded in.

A good load leveler will help. The cheap ones bind. They help, don't work well, but it's a step above a seatbelt.

Have the car up on stands high enough that you can get under it to install the trans crossmember and mount after dropping the engine and trans in.

At the shop, a support dolly goes under the drivetrain and then the car gets lifted off the engine/trans.

A tip, always lower the boom before moving an engine on a cherry picker. We had one fall over and drop a $12k engine and crack the oil pan once.

Yup, get the car high and enlist a helping hand. Easy enough with them assembled together.

Do I for sure need to remove the core support and condenser? This car has been wrecked before and is kinda tweaked together so I?d rather not remove them if I don?t need to, but will of course if I need to.

Back