• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 93 240 bottom strut bolts snap

RickATL

Anyone experience this?? I just had all 4 bolts snap where the outer tie rod connects to the strut housing.

Its the driverside. Opinions on whether ill be able to get those broken ones out? Any ideas on what would cause this?

Attachments

• 20200601_123446.jpg
    20200601_123446.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 67
The torque spec for the bolts is only 17?4 ft lbs. and they're supposed to be replaced every time. I suspect they were over tightened and/or reused.

Thank you hiperfauto. I know for sure i reused them, because they didnt come with the outer tie rod. I ordered them, and i never went back and put them in. Dont happen to know the size of those bolts do you?

Some heat from the map gas torch should help you get those out. The amount of red Loctite that is used on those bolts make them difficult to remove.

I just had all 4 bolts snap where the outer tie rod connects to the strut housing.
I don't mean to be a picky little b!tch, but if you phone a parts store and request an "outer tie rod", they'll send you a:

tie-rod.jpg

However, a request for a ball joint and mounting plate (Volvo parts catalog actually calls it an "anchorage") will get you:

ball-joint.jpg

hard to tow with the strut tower flapping in the wind

I tried drilling out the stubs with left hand bits, cobalts, now i think i just f'upd the threads. Im getting towed to the house. It beat me up in the publix parking lot all day.

Attachments

• 20200601_192334.jpg
    20200601_192334.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 37
Back