• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

I think my rear main seal is leaking. Goddamn it.

At least the underside is well rust proofed now.. And the driveway..

RMS is done and it's driveable again, but I think it's safe to say my oil box might be slightly clogged..

IMG_20170414_145605.jpg

I broke off a piece of the oil cap seal to provide a way for the pressure to get out so I wouldn't blow any more seals on my way home. Oil box is sitting with degreaser inside it right now.

... Is it normal for the car to spin the wheels in the air when in neutral?
Yes. The trans oil is making a 'viscous coupling' between the shafts inside the transmission. As one shaft spins it slings oil around onto the other one and causes a fluid connection (which, BTW, is how a torque converter works. Since there is no mechanical connection, you can stop the tire from spinning with your foot (and, it wouldn't spin with the tires on the ground). Thinner oil or a lower oil level in the transmission would keep this from happening but it isn't indicative of a problem or defect.

BTW: The suggestion of a sticky pilot bearing doesn't fit in this instance since your foot is off the clutch pedal when this is happening (the clutch disc is clamped between the pressure plate and the flywheel so the input shaft is spinning at the same RPM's as the crankshaft).

Today I got a gas tank, front bumper, rear bumper trim, heater unit thingy, etc. I got the whole heater unit but really only needed the thermostat. Put in said thermostat so now the electric side of the AC is fixed. Also propped the recirc shutter so now it's stuck off instead of on. And I installed a 740 efan to get rid of that wooshy shroudless mechanical one. I think next on the list is to fix whatever leaks the AC has and put on a real exhaust. Also bumpers.

IMG_20170420_193413.jpg

IMG_20170420_164742.jpg

It's been down on power lately. Yesterday it would only do 9psi, today it barely went over 5. Feels totally normal otherwise. Will boost leak test in a bit. Also when I pop the hood after running it I can see a bit of smoke coming off the turbo.

IMG_20170426_121228.jpg

IMG_20170426_133821.jpg

No I just pulled the hose off the compressor housing and capped it. I think I've narrowed the leak down to the IAC or something else on the intake manifold. It does build boost, but it takes forever and there isn't much of it.

Lol, yeah. I have the LH 2.2 EZK box and engine harness but I'm missing the harness that connects the EZK. Seller forgot to include it with all the stuff I bought from him and seems to have disappeared.. (On Volvoforums.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e_Z_Ob7H_EE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Charged the AC with Envirofreeze hydrocarbon crap. Temp gauge didn't budge with AC and WOT in 80+ degrees so I'd say the efan is working well. Engine is turned back to 7-8PSI at the moment.

As far as I'm concerned this is just race lightening.

IMG_20170430_191005.jpg

New bumper and lip installed, didn't take a pic but it looks way nicer. Old bumper:

IMG_20170430_165814.jpg

Now I just need to do the rear bumper. I also put the 780 CBV on since the eBay BOV didn't work that well. Next for the engine is probably to get rid of that Chrysler ignition.

IMG_20170430_134547.jpg

Back