• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

I was told I would need to change a lot of stuff to use an LS1 intake...not sure if that's true or not. I sold the flathood setup anyway, but may want to change the intake at some point anyway, the truck one is kinda ugly.

jIayij8l.jpg

Suspension goodies Part 1 :cool: Got another box of super cool stuff I haven't had time to photo yet...hopefully tomorrow..
Ben even sent me a sticker that matches the car! That's great service! Can't wait to get the rest of the suspension parts!

7tov1EYl.jpg

Snow cap in the freakin box!! Ya I bought it...I'm a sucker for the rare stuff...

IgoEst2l.jpg

KQNPcBil.jpg

iUlULTel.jpg

Trunk popper option, anyone know where the button is supposed to mount? Whats the extra plastic plate for and where does it go?

YYlWZQpl.jpg

Proper ratcheting armrest

Last edited:
Button goes in glove box, upper left corner.. Plate not sure. Or just sell the set up to me.

The plate is a mystery. Thanks for the info! I got a bit way too deep into some options this week haha, can't give them up now

The plate is a mystery. Thanks for the info! I got a bit way too deep into some options this week haha, can't give them up now

theres a small indignation in the upper left of the glove box. Drill that hole out and the button goes there and the plate goes between the button and the small little rectangle in the upper left of glove box. Pretty self explanatory

theres a small indignation in the upper left of the glove box. Drill that hole out and the button goes there and the plate goes between the button and the small little rectangle in the upper left of glove box. Pretty self explanatory[/QUOTE

The plastic plate covers the motor in the trunk. It fits over the motor and is held down with two screws.

I mean this in most positive way: I am so glad you are able to do this to an older Volvo. Looks like another build that will make people in the future realize how cool the community really is :cool:

Waiting on my TB stickers so people know where to look...when they hear the new engine they will really wonder haha. So many bad a** cars here, its hard to keep up. I've been trying to read peoples project threads in my spare time and the skills, knowledge, and sheer amount of work is really inspiring.

Don't waste your time on the ls1 intake assuming you're are using catherall heads. use the ls6 intake instead.

There is many ways you can run the ls car intake with different water pump setups. Here was my 242 using a early 6.0L truck water pump I modified. I move the upper hose inlet like hackster did on his old blue 242. Since my car had a flat hood the truck intake does not fit under the hood so I had to use the ls1 intake. When you start going into the car accessories it can get expensive. I am using the ICT bracket and car power steering. The alternator bracket is actually from hacksters old blue 242 I bought from the current owner of the car. Its located on the passenger side.

41429943405_1d0ddf0fce_c.jpg

44345742314_a8ffd6b695_c.jpg

44345746234_029a582bc6_c.jpg

Dirty dino has this bracket that cost $30. You can use all truck accessories with the 2015 camaro water pump that has the same offset as the truck setup. The pump and tensioner is the expensive part if you go this route.

31191362588_c63c735401_c.jpg

31191314088_d129c022d7_c.jpg

Or you can all out with the ICT stuff that also requires the 2015 camaro water pump and tensioner. I think with this setup we paid $800.

43252144150_fa3918bca1_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I am probably going all out with the ICT setup. I want that truck bracket gone, and the cleanest looking install. I'm going to worry about the intake manifold when I get to the turbo stage of the project, I have the formal hood and am keeping it, sold my flat hood setup so I stop thinking about it haha. I'm not as concerned with the cost (I'm actually using the JRZ RSpro coilovers for this project..), I want to do things right the first time.

Some more stuff came today..

xAO2AgSl.jpg

84-90 C4 Corvette 3 row Champion radiator

YpjzD0nl.jpg

Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers, 3" in and out, these are are an incredible deal, less than $40 each, super tough, thick steel, and sound good, I tried to remove one from my 740T that was stuck in the over axle pipe, ended up wailing on it with a 5 lb hand sledge and barely scratched it.

hbIvqSol.jpg

Missing pieces for my hydraulic clutch setup. Vertigosity is the f***ing man for helping me out with the specific parts.

1KUfv7Xl.jpg

What good is a project update without my girl B, dressed for the sudden cold here.

You can use a tbss intake and fitech TB on it which is the way to go imo. Clears the coffin hood even with the engine as far forward as possible

Cool, thanks for the tip. Some googling tells me that is a cable operated TB, how involved is it to get that to work? My engine came with the electronic TB setup.

The stock one that came with it. They tuned it with HPTuner, but I don't know how they interfaced with it. Its on my list to ask them. There is no ID on the ecu included, not a single thing. Aluminum box with heat sinks, bare aluminum colored lol. I'm going to try to pin that and a few other questions down tomorrow.

Back