• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

STS flywheel clutch options

esmth

The member
I want to purchase the 20lb LH24 flywheel from STS machining. The page says it needs a 1976-84 215mm clutch which is for the 240 turbo non intercooled. I cannot find a definitive answer for how much torque the non intercooled clutch kit (Sachs KF242-04) can handle. I'm looking for 200-220ft/lbs capacity so i don't know if it will work for me. I want it to for being easy & cheap.

There are also some Saab Sachs 215mm pressure plates (SC430/SC436) that should bolt up to the flywheel and standard volvo 215mm clutch disk. Are these stronger than the pp in the KF242-04? And it seems no one sells just the clutch disk (SD305) alone anymore to do this.

I've also looked into the Saab 228mm 9000T16V/900T pressure plate, which has the same bolt pattern for some years, but new 6mm dowel holes will need to be drilled. Is the Sachs part i'm looking for this pressure plate the SC437? Can I use the standard 740 turbo 228mm clutch disk with this plate?

Whats the best option

Call Southbend clutch, that stock stuff will slip with any kind of torque put through it. My SB is good for 280ft/lbs.

I wanted to stick with oem parts but i'll give them a ring if I cant find a combo that works :x:

The Saab 9-3 Viggen PP will bolt up just fine if the dowel pin is directly between the bolt holes. If the dowel pin in near (like less than an inch) from the bolt hole, the Viggen PP won't work without the FW dowel holes being redrilled.

The 228mm disk will fit just fine in the Viggen PP. Might have to shim the PP and pivot ball, but that's easy peasy.

I bet you could call Scott/Taylor and ask them to send you one with the dowel pins spaced between the bolt holes. Then a Viggen PP or stock 215mm Volvo one, or an upgraded PP and disk could be used.

The Saab 9-3 Viggen PP will bolt up just fine if the dowel pin is directly between the bolt holes. If the dowel pin in near (like less than an inch) from the bolt hole, the Viggen PP won't work without the FW dowel holes being redrilled.

The 228mm disk will fit just fine in the Viggen PP. Might have to shim the PP and pivot ball, but that's easy peasy.

I bet you could call Scott/Taylor and ask them to send you one with the dowel pins spaced between the bolt holes. Then a Viggen PP or stock 215mm Volvo one, or an upgraded PP and disk could be used.

I do have some with both dowel pin locations. if the PO want to go that route.

Back