• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 Continuously Overheats

SpanishInquisition

I have a 1987 245 wagon that i got for $800 two years ago. I had to rewire the starting circuit, but other than that it needed nothing to be a daily driver. About 6 months back overheated, and overheated, and overheated. It would happen at all times, in traffic AND at rest, but it was more prevalent at rest and especially if it was raining or wet outside. Two months ago I replaced the radiator, water pump, and coolant, and it worked pretty well. However, starting a month ago it started overheating again. I have no clue. Any insight would be much appreciated!

I'd start by verifying the temp with an infrared thermometer.

This.

Also you put a lot of emphasis on ALL THE TIME but then only say at a stop or in traffic. What does it do while cruising and on the highway?

Also take a look at this article. Your symptoms sound like a failing temp faker to me.

Last edited:
Also you put a lot of emphasis on ALL THE TIME but then only say at a stop or in traffic. What does it due while cruising and on the highway.

"Continuously..."

Even when the car is off......

1. Verify temp....if temp is normal, stop here.
2. verify cooling system functionality
....a. does cooling fan kick on?
....b. is water pump pumping water?
3. If your cooling system is working, but just cant keep up, check your T-stat.
4. If your thermostat is fine....you're ****ed.....well...your car is ****ed.
5. You could save yourself a lot of hassle and just crush it now....

Last edited:
After verifying if the temperature is too hot or not, check the harmonic balancer.

Were it slipping power steering would also not work at the same time. Seems like this was not an issue in '87. It was B-230 cars where Elroy left the crank bolt loose for the crank pulley to spin on the front of the crank. Tore ish up but good.

Last edited:
Were it slipping power steering would also not work at the same time. Seems like this was not an issue in '87. It was B-230 cars where Elroy left the crank bolt loose for the crank pulley to spin on the front of the crank. Tore ish up but good.

Why would it not be an issue in 87?

And warning lights might be on or flickering, due to a somewhat non-charging alternator.

The OP might want to try tapping on the cluster right where the "VOLVO" badge is when it starts getting hot. If gauge goes down, temp faker is failing.

Back