• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Garrett T3 wastegate

SlowBrick

Hey guys,
I am running a 16t clocked for RWD on my B23ET and have been having a hard time getting it to hold stable boost and boost onset also seems kinda slow. Ive done some reading and it appears that using the T3 wastegate is an effective solution. Unfortunately here in AUS we didnt get any 240 turbos so there arent really any of those to get wastegates from. I have had a look on atp turbo and they list a few generic ones. Is there a particular style/rod length that i should be looking for?

I was thinking about this one with the optional threaded rod: https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/mercha...&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-098&Category_Code=INWGA

Cheers.

It's bought this for my China bay 20g, it comes with a bunch of different length rods. I just pried off my spot welded on factory one and drilled a couple holes to hold the new one. I ended up drilling 4 because I didn't think ahead about which way the vacuum port was pointed.

https://store.kinugawaturbosystems.com/products/kinugawa-adjustable-turbo-wastegate-actuator-w-6-x-spring-4-x-rod-for-universal?variant=7422763401238&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8y8I3MrtAdrl-VNk0c-DYYLRIVbKOqSxIgxoJNhHLHsbaNJ9iFSByQaAq0rEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Cheers for the ideas!

VB I did see those Kinugawa wastegates and they seem pretty easy to get over here. I did hear mixed reviews about the accuracy of the spring colours which was a little bit concerning.
855T thanks for that link. Those look the goods but arent available locally. I was doing a bit more searching and found that a local place here called Turbosmart make actuators for the Garretts found on the turbo Falcons we have here. They list a spec sheet and if the rod measures up then it might be the go as I can get local support for it. If they arent suitable then ill probably order one of those actuators and have it sent over here. They are more expensive but as the car is on the road everyday I like the idea of having the local support should a problem arise.

Turbosmart actuator: https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/internal-wastegate-actuator-iwg75-ba-bf-fg-xr6-turbo.html

Forge also makes some very nice stuff, should be available over there. Gonna spend a little more but their support has been great for my CBV's and the WGA as well. Bought the spring kit for both, red spring is running right around 18-19psi, so pretty close to their spec.

Thanks the ideas guys. Ended up with a Mamba universal kit. Wanted to go for the Forge but it was going to cost about $400 by the time it got here which is more than the cost of the turbo. Was reading a few people's experiences with the Turbosmart unit and many reported that it increases the effect of boost onset due to its increased rigidity and really needs tuning with the ECU to manage the ignition and fuel around that increase in onset. Seeing as I'm just running LH2.4 I dont think it will be too good for my setup. The Mamba/Kinugawa units seem to be well received for the price. Cant wait for it to arrive so I can get it mounted up and see what its like.

Update on the Mamba wastegate. Fitted it with a new bracket and am getting a solid 13psi off the gate. Boost and response feel very strong and it holds 13psi right to redline. Very happy so far and is much better than the stock mitsu actuator.

Back