• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 Roof Rack

Tough to beat that deal. The only downside to to the long bars is that it's easy to hit one's head when exiting the car.

Wren, it'd take a lot of work to try to smack your head on a pair of 58" bars mounted to a 240 while getting out of the car. On a Honda Accord from the early '80s, yes, it's easy. A 240? No. Trust me, my six foot tall father has tried to do so. Was successful with our '81 Accord sedan when it had the rack shown below on it, but never could do it on any of our 240s.

I agree with John, on my 2000 Civic that has Thule bars of the same size ratio I’ve hit my head several times in the past 10 years but on the Volvo with 1A towers and the 58” bars I can easily slide in and out without contact.

My friend's bars must be longer than 58". He brought the car to me to work on it and I kept hitting my damned head on the things when I exited. I told him not to bring it back with the rack on it.

I ended up with the car (and the rack) when it was rear-ended last year. I should probably sell it as I'm a dedicated Quick-n-Easy rack user.

Attachments

• Picture029.jpg
    Picture029.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 71
Ah, looks to be something homebuilt with the wood. Anyway, crossbar placement might've come into play in that case. Try mounting the front crossbar like how I have my Yakima rack mounted in this pic. If you don't smack your head, then, that's why it kept occuring.

-J

My friend's bars must be longer than 58". He brought the car to me to work on it and I kept hitting my damned head on the things when I exited. I told him not to bring it back with the rack on it.

I ended up with the car (and the rack) when it was rear-ended last year. I should probably sell it as I'm a dedicated Quick-n-Easy rack user.

I had a gold 91 245 that came with a Quick-n-Easy when I bought it.

I like them.

Ah, looks to be something homebuilt with the wood.
-J

The 2x4's are mine, but the brackets look like these:
939ac9768c7fb3537a9ea969753938b5.jpg

They also make adapter rings that allow one to use round bars, but the rectanglular 2x4's work better I think.

images

Just used mine today to haul a mattress and box spring. Naturally one of the end caps fell off from the load bar. But the rack is probably twenty five or more years old and it's still great to use. I think it's the Thule version as it's branded volvo. First time I used it. I drove a hood for a sixty six wagon from Carlisle PA to Atlantic Highlands NJ. They are a great product.

Tough to beat that deal. The only downside to to the long bars is that it's easy to hit one's head when exiting the car.

Actually as a matter of fact, my dad hit his head on them today...

I'll probably shorten them before I paint them. 60" is nice but it sticks out slightly too much. That excess length is just unusable. What am I gonna do, hang my clothes to dry?

:lol::lol::lol:
I measured the ones that I kept hitting my head on. 66"

lol, yeah, that would do it. Basically, you had the same amount of overhang that we had with the rack on my parents' old Accord. Get some 58" bars and it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Or, if you have a truck, put them on that.

Back