• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 into an LH2.4 Car - Whats Needed?

Hey everyone, I looked through the forums and couldn't quite find my question so here's another LH2.2/LH2.4 thread.

I have a 93 240 n/a with an AW71 which I'd like to replace with a B230FT from an 88 740. I had originally planned on keeping it LH2.2 from the 740, but the more I've looked into it, the more it seems that the head mounted distributor from the 740's B230FT wont fit properly in the 240's bay. If I swap the FT into the 240, will I have to remove the head mounted dizzy, plug it's hole, and add a block mounted dizzy? If so, since the 240 is already LH2.4 would it make more sense to get a new (to me) turbo LH2.4 ignition? If I were to go this route would my MAF and other sensors still work properly/migrate over to the older turbo motor?

Thanks in advance!

Put the 2.4 sensors on the 2.2 engine. Swap over crank sensor bracket (and crank sensor obviously). You’ll need lh2.4 turbo computers that take direct place of your lh2.4 na computers.

So the CPS bracket and CPS will take place of the Hall sensor, correct Would the MAF sensor from the 2.2 work for the 2.4 or do I use my current 2.4 MAF sensor?

So the CPS bracket and CPS will take place of the Hall sensor, correct Would the MAF sensor from the 2.2 work for the 2.4 or do I use my current 2.4 MAF sensor?

Use alllll the 2.4 parts, including the 2.4 maf. Nothing 2.2 related is used, except i think you can use the stock 2.2 distributor, but the Hall effect sensor remains unplugged and un-used. It would be a different story if using a 2.4 engine in a 2.2 car. If that were the case you?d have to use a 2.2 dist with Hall effect sensor.

And yes the CPS bracket is held to the 12 o?clock position of the back of the block via 2 10mm bolts. Remove, and install on new 2.2 engine. It?s worth noting that the really early blocks weren?t drilled and tapped for the CPS bracket, but an engine from 88 will be so you?re lucky there!

Use alllll the 2.4 parts, including the 2.4 maf. Nothing 2.2 related is used, except i think you can use the stock 2.2 distributor, but the Hall effect sensor remains unplugged and un-used. It would be a different story if using a 2.4 engine in a 2.2 car. If that were the case you?d have to use a 2.2 dist with Hall effect sensor.

And yes the CPS bracket is held to the 12 o?clock position of the back of the block via 2 10mm bolts. Remove, and install on new 2.2 engine. It?s worth noting that the really early blocks weren?t drilled and tapped for the CPS bracket, but an engine from 88 will be so you?re lucky there!

Sounds like my luck might be turning around finally! For the LH2.4 turbo ECU's are there multiple models, one I should look for or avoid, or is it one size fits all? Also since I'll be able to use LH2.4 I'll try the wasted spark upgrade instead of a coil/distributor.

So technically the CPS and bracket don’t take physical place of the Hall effect sensor, but they essentially serve the same purpose. 2.4 cars did not use a Hall effect sensor in the distributor, they used a crank sensor (and bracket) on the bell housing area of the block. If you re use the 2.2 dist, just leave the Hall effect sensor unplugged.

Swap the coolant temp sensor for the ECU from your 2.4 engine to the 2.2 engine. Same with knock sensor, etc. remember that a 240 uses a single spade connector for the temp gauge readout whereas the 7/9 cars use a 2 pin connector. This is NOT the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor that supplies the ECU with data. This is ONLY for temp gauge readout. The rear sensor in between intake runners 3 and 4 is the ECT sensor.

Sounds like my luck might be turning around finally! For the LH2.4 turbo ECU's are there multiple models, one I should look for or avoid, or is it one size fits all? Also since I'll be able to use LH2.4 I'll try the wasted spark upgrade instead of a coil/distributor.

The newer the better, as long as it’s OBD1. Preferably get yourself a white label 9xx lh2.4 ECU and EZK from the wanted section or the junkyard.

Only thing to worry about is with the ECU, some require a cold start injector in order to not throw a CEL, some don’t. I’d opt for a 954 or 937(?) ecu. These are white label LH2.4 turbo ECUs that don’t look for a cold start injector signal.

As for the EZK, same story except some look for an EGR signal. Can’t remember the part number but I *think* I used a 148 EZK which is also a white label, LH2.4 EZK that doesn’t look for an EGR signal. But you’ll need to triple check that part number, my turbo car isn’t handy right now otherwise I’d look.

Basically, to turbo a 2.4 car is extremely easy. Absolutely no tuning necessary at all. It is 100% plug and play if you have turbo ECU/EZK at your disposal.

But if you have a Parts car with an older LH2.4 turbo ECU/EZK, it’ll work fine too. I just prefer the newer white label stuff. They progressively got better as they got newer. But if you get too new you have to worry about OBD2 and immobilizers.

Hey everyone, I looked through the forums and couldn't quite find my question so here's another LH2.2/LH2.4 thread.

I have a 93 240 n/a with an AW71 which I'd like to replace with a B230FT from an 88 740. I had originally planned on keeping it LH2.2 from the 740, but the more I've looked into it, the more it seems that the head mounted distributor from the 740's B230FT wont fit properly in the 240's bay. If I swap the FT into the 240, will I have to remove the head mounted dizzy, plug it's hole, and add a block mounted dizzy? If so, since the 240 is already LH2.4 would it make more sense to get a new (to me) turbo LH2.4 ignition? If I were to go this route would my MAF and other sensors still work properly/migrate over to the older turbo motor?

Thanks in advance!

That's exactly what you need to do. You need the auxiliary shaft and distributor from your current engine. You will swap that to the b230ft engine. You will need to source the LH 2.4 turbo ecu & ezk to make it all work. You will have to use the IAC from your 240 engine as the one from the b230ft engine is different. Also, unless someone changed the transmission on your 240, you will have an aw70 which isn't ideal for the b230ft engine.

That's exactly what you need to do. You need the auxiliary shaft and distributor from your current engine. You will swap that to the b230ft engine. You will need to source the LH 2.4 turbo ecu & ezk to make it all work. You will have to use the IAC from your 240 engine as the one from the b230ft engine is different. Also, unless someone changed the transmission on your 240, you will have an aw70 which isn't ideal for the b230ft engine.

There's a very good chance I'm wrong about the transmission in the 240. What makes the AW71 better for a turbo than the AW70? My donor car has the AW71 I believe (according to the internet), I just haven't ran it before so I'm not sure the condition of it.

Basically, to turbo a 2.4 car is extremely easy. Absolutely no tuning necessary at all. It is 100% plug and play if you have turbo ECU/EZK at your disposal.

But if you have a Parts car with an older LH2.4 turbo ECU/EZK, it?ll work fine too. I just prefer the newer white label stuff. They progressively got better as they got newer. But if you get too new you have to worry about OBD2 and immobilizers.

Can you show me an OBDII Redblock?

There's a very good chance I'm wrong about the transmission in the 240. What makes the AW71 better for a turbo than the AW70? My donor car has the AW71 I believe (according to the internet), I just haven't ran it before so I'm not sure the condition of it.

All of the turbo cars had aw71s. NA 240s never did. Your 240 has an aw70 unless it?s heen swapped out. You have to use the aw71 behind turbo power.

The LH 2.4 On Board Diagnostics, and the Federally Mandated OBD-II specification are completely different, and you should know that.

the 96-98 Redblocks in Europe didnt have OBD-II either.

You said OBD, not OBD-II. As I stated, all 940s here have OBD. Now, if you don?t mind please stop wasting all of our bandwidth with your useless posts that are of no help.

You said OBD, not OBD-II. As I stated, all 940s here have OBD. Now, if you don’t mind please stop wasting all of our bandwidth with your useless posts that are of no help.

Says the guy telling the kid not to use an OBD-II ecu.

Furthermore, OBD means On Board Diagnostics, of which OBD-II are a part of. Notice I specified The LH 2.4 vs OBD-II. Volvo stopped selling redblocks in NA because of the OBD requirements for 1996. So yeah, im still right.

Back