• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

90 240 rack rebuild kit worth it?

durk80

Hi everyone, my rack and pinion feels shot. It feels loose in the 12 o'clock position when driving, but the feeling dissipates when it gets a work out. The power steering pump whines as well, but doesn't leak. I put Lucas rack and pinion magic juice in it, and that didn't work.

How difficult is it to take out and rebuild the rack and pinion?

Thanks for everyone's advice in advance!

AFAIK a DIY "rebuild" is just seals. Most people replace it with a professionally rebuilt unit on which they will have machined the rack teeth back to factory spec (or so they claim).

Thanks for the response, arsenix! I asked because I thought that there were bushings within the rack that could be replaced to restore the smoothness. I don't know as I'm not a professional, just trying to extend my car a bit longer. I've heard mixed reviews about the remanufactured racks, and didn't want to have to do the job several times, but that might be what I have to do. Ahh, I wish it lasted forever as it looks like a daunting job!

rack rebuild

there is a place called jorgenauto.com that has been rebuilding Volvo steering racks for a long time, always top quality. 800-333-0600.

Back