• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pillows LS swap into 960 build v-log - the shade tree conversion bible

Pillow, FWIW, this weekend I replaced my stock 740 (3/4" bore) master cylinder with a Tilton Series-75 (7/8" bore.) I used a 3d-printed clevis, and used M6 bolts to mount it. Wasn't easy for sure since there's so little space under the dash for fiddling with the MC. Anyways, I'm not 100% certain but I think 7/8" bore might be over-shooting. With 3/4" I was getting gear teeth almost all the time during shifts. Now with the 7/8" I get *no* teeth at all, but the clutch engagement is really high up on the pedal, definitely in the first 25% of pedal travel. A 36" AN-4 stainless line (McLeod 139204-36) is long enough on mine to go from MC to the slave. I may try adjusting the pushrod a bit to see if I can change the engagement point on the pedal.

Also on mine I managed to alter my Fuel pump circuit in the fusepanel to be 12V-switched-on (from the GM ECU) as opposed to my factory ground-switched-on (from the Volvo ECU.) I basically cut a wire and re-routed it at the fuel system relay. Pretty easy. Oh and I made a shunt at the shifter box for the park/neutral switch to bypass (since the auto shifter was removed.) You could probably just cut that connector off and solder the two together.

For mine I added a little fusepanel that handles the power for each injector bank, GM ECU ignition power, and "engine sensors / O2 / MAF / reverse solenoid" with two separate relays driving these; haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks for the additional info RallyDallas!

Probably another week or two before turning wrenches on the 960. I had some trees taken down yesterday and I need to clean and cut up a bunch of wood. It is a good thing as I now have a space for an outbuilding 3 car garage ;)

Closed for winter but Cliff notes from another thread that may be helpful! I have some additional videos to upload to YT as well.

The Sloppy Pillow Installation Guide (Notes of Cliff) as I see it for Gen1 or Gen2 on a basic LM7 4.8/5.3
* Hopefully save some time, money, and effort for others.
** No chrome solution! If you want bling go ahead and set your $10k on fire.
*** This isn't Roadkill or Engine Masters, so I'm not whoring chinesium Holley i$h!
**** F Body = 2002 Camaro SS 5.7 LS1 for parts reference

- Oil Pan:
1. GM Hot Rod - cheap and works, side exit drain plug may have clearance issues with subframe depending on front or rear setback. 5 Quarts of oil.
2. Early Truck - I think this will clear. Rear exit drain that avoids subframe. (if bored I will swap this winter just to check fitment.) 6 Quarts of oil.
3. Truck 2008+ - +1" of additional clearance. Again this should work. 6 Quarts of oil.

- Intake Manifold:
1. Car style LS1/LS6
2. Aftermarket FastLSX etc. Some options are affordable and some crazy expensive. Car Craft did a great LS Intake Comparo that is worth a read so you can decide what $/HP ratio suits your build.

- Throttle Body
1. DBC Early Truck/SUV Drive By Cable - these are getting beaten due to age so hard to find clean and becoming too expensive for what they are.
2. DBC Express Van - Long production run and cheap on Gar-bay. Usually these are cleaner than the Truck versions as well. Same thing at much better price!
3. DBC Aftermarket - some people have issues with the chinesium TPS sensors etc. Buyer beware and not worth the risk IMO.
4. DBW - LS1 and Truck did not clear the hood for the Gen1 STS mounts. YMMV.
5. Lokar LS Truck (not car) throttle cable - matches up well with the Volvo pedal catch w/o issues. Good quality and works.

- Accessories (Note LM7 as F-Body LS1/LS6 engines can drop in stock)
1. A/C Compressor - fits no issues at all
2. Truck Water Pump (WP) neck is too high and also interferes with the LS1/LS6 intake manifolds and will need to be changed to an F Body water pump with stand offs to match the Truck crankshaft pulley offset.
2.A. F Body WP (rumor that Gen5 Camaro WP will work but diff outlet location - do your own homework if that interests you.)
2.B. WP Spacers with Steam Vent Breather - Bonus as you need a steam vent anyway. Aligns Truck crankshaft pulley with LS1 WP pulley. ICT Billet SKU: 551690-71 https://www.ictbillet.com/ls1-camaro...2-lq4-gto.html
3. Power Steering Pump - Truck Saginaw relocation kit. Reuse the LM7 power steering pump and relocate with ICT Billet SKU: 551321-3 https://www.ictbillet.com/5-3l-ls-he...p-4-8-6-0.html
4. F Body Alternator (NO the Truck ALT will not work as it is not made for 3 bolt point mounting)
4.A. The Truck block needs an additional hole drilled and tapped for the F Body ALT bracket. Easy, but could be difficult if you are not familiar with how to drill and tap properly - even still pucker factor is high. ICT Billet SKU: 551445 https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-truck-b...r-ls1-lsx.html
4.B. F Body Alt mounts - Stock GM if possible or ICT Billet SKU 551668-3 https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-truck-a...33-billet.html
5. Idler Pulley - Truck will not work so you will need the F Body Idler to match up.
6. Serpentine Belt... IOU what size fits.

- Exhaust Manifolds
Rant: I went through every stock GM manifold that was remotely recommended... None work to get around the 7/9 Steering shaft. I have a fine collection of manifolds on my basement as a result.
1. Drivers side = Block Huggers! Block Huggers! Block Huggers! Someone prove me wrong! Flowtech 11706FLT https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flowt...nt,141147.html
2. Passenger side has many options available. Easy is any of the center dump and angled Corvette manifolds. Bonus on these is that the O2 sensor bung is cast into the manifold. OR just run the set of Block Huggers as you will have it on hand anyway.

As you can see this only addresses getting the LS into the engine bay. The fuel system, electrical, etc. is on you as there are many ways to skin the cat on this. I can detail sensors if anyone is interested as some of these are tricky.

Thats a truck load of info, thanks!

I think the hot ticket for a 7/9 swap would be the LS2 car intake, that way you get the 4 bolt throttle body and 90mm inlet. Then grab a chinabay 90mm throttle body to take advantage of that 90mm inlet. Good for larger displacement or boosted apps.

Like I mentioned, 2008+ truck pan is 1" shorter than the common early truck pan. Giffin Performance mounts are designed to use this pan. Usually found under $100 from salvage yard with the pickup tube.

Water pump with car intake. 2008+ silverado water pump has a lower tube on top. 2010+ L99 Camaro has truck spacing and outlet on drivers side. Thats what I will likely use with a stock radiator.

The small case 130amp truck alternator should fit an f-body bracket, I have one setup that way in an 81 Camaro.

Thats awesome news about the truck AC compressor, I was just talking to John about that this morning. I have piles of brackets and compressors that were just throwaways before this revelation.

We also plan on producing a 740 swap video series as well to hopefully cover all the nuances of a 7/9 swap. Once that is complete I will do it over again on my girlfriend's 745 DD with a 6.0L and 5 speed.

Thats a truck load of info, thanks!

I think the hot ticket for a 7/9 swap would be the LS2 car intake, that way you get the 4 bolt throttle body and 90mm inlet. Then grab a chinabay 90mm throttle body to take advantage of that 90mm inlet. Good for larger displacement or boosted apps.

Like I mentioned, 2008+ truck pan is 1" shorter than the common early truck pan. Giffin Performance mounts are designed to use this pan. Usually found under $100 from salvage yard with the pickup tube.

Water pump with car intake. 2008+ silverado water pump has a lower tube on top. 2010+ L99 Camaro has truck spacing and outlet on drivers side. Thats what I will likely use with a stock radiator.

The small case 130amp truck alternator should fit an f-body bracket, I have one setup that way in an 81 Camaro.

Thats awesome news about the truck AC compressor, I was just talking to John about that this morning. I have piles of brackets and compressors that were just throwaways before this revelation.

Great info!

A couple follow up questions:
1. Does the L99 water pump have a steam vent bung or how are you addressing that?
2. Does the 130A ALT have the rear 3rd hole for mounting? (The ones in my collection did not have the rear mounting hole for proper stability)

Please share videos as you have the opportunity!!! I would love to see how you are approaching the details. :nod:

oh I was incorrect on the amp rating, the small case 105 amp fits the bracket. From looking online, it appears the truck alt is different in that it does not have the mounting boss for the rear bracket. Not sure if that's really an issue? For the Camaro I have, I basically bought a swap in another rusted out car that had all sorts of "custom" stuff done. Didn't realize I already had a Camaro alt.

L99 waterpump does not have a steam vent fitting. On my C10 I made an adapter to connect the steam vent line to the heater return fitting on the radiator. For a volvo I understand this would take mods. I am religiously against modding wear parts like water pumps, reason being if I blow up a part on the road and need a quick replacement. I'd be ok with modding the overflow tank however.

oh I was incorrect on the amp rating, the small case 105 amp fits the bracket. From looking online, it appears the truck alt is different in that it does not have the mounting boss for the rear bracket. Not sure if that's really an issue? For the Camaro I have, I basically bought a swap in another rusted out car that had all sorts of "custom" stuff done. Didn't realize I already had a Camaro alt.

L99 waterpump does not have a steam vent fitting. On my C10 I made an adapter to connect the steam vent line to the heater return fitting on the radiator. For a volvo I understand this would take mods. I am religiously against modding wear parts like water pumps, reason being if I blow up a part on the road and need a quick replacement. I'd be ok with modding the overflow tank however.

Roger that.

Agreed 100%! Keep the main parts stock JIC. On my C10 I used a JagsThatRun connector in the upper radiator hose return line for the steam vent, same could be done on a Volvo. I like the ICT Billet spacers with the vent built in so that the WP stays stock w/o tapping a hole... Which roadside in BFE in an Autozone parking lot will not workout at all.

Pulled the 960 out from under the tree/car cover and back into the driveway. Cleaned the dust off and she is ready for wrenching once again!

Ordered some small parts from IPD yesterday as well.

Keep on my ass for updates!

Waiting for the UPS man and we should have some more progress! More parts and more parts!

fetchimage

How to make a Hig Pressure PS hose!

Got a hose put together last night. A few parts, but I did end up just making a SS AN hose after all.

EVIL ENERGY 6AN 3/8" Stainless Steel Braided PTFE E85 Transmission Gas Oil Fuel Line Fittings Kit 16Ft Universal(8.13mm ID) - Amazon

https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...low-restrictor

Vibrant Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 11524 - Summit

I used the 45 degree fittings on both ends to clear away from the exhaust. All the components are of very nice quality. No ragrats, but it was expensive.

As noted earlier I bet many people need the flow restriction and just don't bother. Otherwise the steering is/would be super light and over assisted. The Turn One units is designed for sports cars with LS swaps.

Adding: The Evil Energy AN hose is gold for the price! Easy assembly and no BS. Goodbye Aeroquip/Russell/etc!

Been wondering what was happening with your build, glad to hear your working on it again.. can't wait to hear that thing run!!
M47 I got from you is still going strong, Thanks again!

The wife says all the Trump bucks can go to the Volvo build... May get her running yet!

Fabricated a T5 shifter extension last week. Very pleased wit the placement now. If anyone can post pics, I can send them over text to you to share up here.

Need to build the trans brace, which I think I can fabricate.

Needs:
- Driveshaft modified.
- Still unsure on stock ECU flash vs FiTech/TerminatorX
- Exhaust built
- Stereo installed (it will be too good for the car)
- A/C lines
- Window tint

So we are in a decent place so far.

GOAL: LS Fest East on Sept 11-13! Anyone else going?

Needs:
- Exhaust built
- A/C lines

Somehow I have been hiding under a rock during the pandemic! So what did you go with for exhaust manifolds? I can give you some info on mine (cut up stock cast steel.) And for A/C? I sourced a part # and bought a new compressor but it's not installed yet :( Just let me know :cool:

I ended up with the C5/C6 Corvette header. Custom piping after that.

At this point, I have a stock truck LM7 AC compressor. Stock 960 other parts, but it will need custom lines done for it though.

AC lines might be the hardest part... IDK yet as it will come last.

Adding the goal is that everything work and look as stock for a 960. That is always the hardest part getting the minutia working. No slap and tickle here ;)

Ordered a Holley Terminator X kit... Lets see what happens.

Why TermX? Because it supports the Fuel Composition Sensor for E85.

Also ordered all the stereo bits so that it sounds good ;)

I've pondered it. Seems like a nice bit of kit. No local E85 stations up here so thats a moot point for me. The plug n play aspect of it is nice

Back