home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #51
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Uh...that 89449 is for the 1031 pinion, not the carrier. One pic in the first post shows it compared to the 1030 bearing.
__________________
RIP
Doug Williams "Mr. Doug" 4/15/2009
Pete Fluitman "fivehundred" 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18


74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #52
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

I made a list of the bearing numbers for 1030 and 1031 diffs. The only ones that are different are the inner pinion bearing and race which are highlighted in red for 1030.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/...%20Numbers.pdf
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #53
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer
 
MDVLN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Varies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
New pinion nut spec’d for the Volvo axle (the Dana 30 nut is not the right size) [...]
Is the pinion nut pitch 3/4 x 16 ? Only want to do this once and I think I'm only finding the "Standard" Dana 30 stuff if there is indeed a difference. Had to crank on the original pretty good to get it out so reusing it is out of the question.
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #54
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Uh...that 89449 is for the 1031 pinion, not the carrier. One pic in the first post shows it compared to the 1030 bearing.
that was not clear in the write up. Oh wells.
__________________
"They bum rushed them in their own crib, they drank all their beer, they partied with their ladies and they left with the trophy"

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #55
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

I don't recall the thread pitch on the pinion nut, but that sounds way too coarse.

I'll see what I can do on the wording Kenny.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #56
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer
 
MDVLN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Varies
Default

I thought so, too. For brevity's sake I can't take the old one or the pinion itself and try to fit it up against anything, so that is also out(It'd be special order anyway, most of the locals only have stuff up to 1/2"). The Ratech 321K Install kit lists Component 1500; The catalog then lists two separate nuts. Awesome.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/pop_up_order%201500.htm

Thanks though, I'll dig around a bit more.
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #57
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

one thing I did that made life a bit easier, was press the bearings off the old diff and then hone (well, I used my porting tool and an 80 grit sand roll) out the inner part of the old bearings to make a set of test bearings to set the shimming up. ymmv, but in this case, it saved a bit of effort.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #58
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Yeah, that does help a lot. I have the oe setup kit but the test bearings are almost easier to use. Lol
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #59
745volver
Board Member
 
745volver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Default

I installed the TT in my 87 wagon today thanks to information on this thread and Dave Barton's Volvo rear end page. Install went relatively smoothly. Carrier bearing preload was a wee bit tighter than the factory diff and the backlash was right at .006". My only concern was after having the axle on the bench and all set up, I could not get the axle shafts to spin in opposite directions. I used a pry bar on the shafts and they would not budge. The axle felt 100% locked which was not what I was under the impression how this unit operates. Especially when compared to my '77 Scout which I installed a TT in the rear years ago, you lift the tires of the ground and spin one, the other spins in the opposite direction....

I contacted Eaton and they informed me this unit's 'high preload' will result in the symptoms I was experiencing. They blindly said to install the axle in the car and apply some real torque with the driveshaft. So I did and the unit performs as I expected and is a very predictable limited slip. After 40 miles of driving, I came back and lifted one rear tire while securing the rest of the car. The engine struggled but eventually spun the air born tire. It made an awful screeching sound but I still am wondering about the setup on this unit. Anyone else have issues with their TT's being this 'tight'? Eaton also said they will break in over time....

Also this is a 12 tooth tone ring car, I used a G80 ring and cut 36 teeth out. I welded it on after cutting the ring to get it to fit. The speedo was dead on with how it was on the factory diff. Shimmed the pickup with a washer for clearance and it was good to go. Just for info for the 12 tooth tone ring cars.

 photo thumbnail 1.jpg
 photo thumbnail.jpg
 photo thumbnail 2.jpg
__________________
1987 745T 268k. 15g at 14psi. M46 with homemade short shifter.
745volver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #60
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

did you install new bearings? i have a complete revision on my axle and now all the plays and preloads dont line up anymore.. :(
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #61
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

They are pretty darn tight by design for the rear D30 version, but that's also what keeps both tires going.

Screeching sound doesn't sound normal though, never heard one do that. What oil did you put in it? I've had better luck with M1 than Redline actually, but I only run full syn. Some places say not to, others say it's fine, I've run it in both of mine, had no issues in either, with around 90k on the wagon so far, with more than it's share of abuse.

Going from used to new bearings can change things. Most overhaul instructions I've seen have a different preload spec for new vs. used, with new usually being a little tighter.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #62
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

no noises coming from the blue car, re-shimmed the carrier bearings and left the rest alone
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #63
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

We will need video of this.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #64
745volver
Board Member
 
745volver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Default

I used the old bearings. As for gear lube, just some basic GL5 conventional 75w-90 from O'rielly. I will see if I can get a video posted by tomorrow.
745volver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #65
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
JW240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

I say, run it for a while and then see what happens. Mine made some nasty noise too when it was brand new and not broken in. Went away after a week or two.
Now a good year later, one oil change and about 20k covered, still going strong. Only replaced the carrier bearings when I did the swap. Left pinion alone, except for a new seal.

Happy with the performance. Surprised by how good it is in the snow.
__________________
240 | 1991 | 332 KKm | B230F+T | Cosworth T3 60/63 | M90 | TrueTrack
Husaberg FE450 '12 supermoto swapped


Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #66
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
We will need video of this.
you'll have to take that up with the car's owner.

Also used basic gl5 oil in it as well, figured it'd get changed before long anyway, might as well.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #67
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

No. Not the blue car. The one that made deathly noises.
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #68
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
No. Not the blue car. The one that made deathly noises.
....? the 940? I dunno whatchu talkin' bout now.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #69
745volver
Board Member
 
745volver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Default

In the video, I did not show the passenger side wheel spin but it makes the identical noise as the driver side. None of this can be heard when driving the car and putting power down while in a turn. Roughly a hundred miles on the TT as of the video....time will tell if there is an issue, however for the meantime it is mildly unnerving.

745volver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #70
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745volver View Post
I installed the TT in my 87 wagon today thanks to information on this thread and Dave Barton's Volvo rear end page. Install went relatively smoothly. Carrier bearing preload was a wee bit tighter than the factory diff and the backlash was right at .006". My only concern was after having the axle on the bench and all set up, I could not get the axle shafts to spin in opposite directions. I used a pry bar on the shafts and they would not budge. The axle felt 100% locked which was not what I was under the impression how this unit operates. Especially when compared to my '77 Scout which I installed a TT in the rear years ago, you lift the tires of the ground and spin one, the other spins in the opposite direction....

I contacted Eaton and they informed me this unit's 'high preload' will result in the symptoms I was experiencing. They blindly said to install the axle in the car and apply some real torque with the driveshaft. So I did and the unit performs as I expected and is a very predictable limited slip. After 40 miles of driving, I came back and lifted one rear tire while securing the rest of the car. The engine struggled but eventually spun the air born tire. It made an awful screeching sound but I still am wondering about the setup on this unit. Anyone else have issues with their TT's being this 'tight'? Eaton also said they will break in over time....

Also this is a 12 tooth tone ring car, I used a G80 ring and cut 36 teeth out. I welded it on after cutting the ring to get it to fit. The speedo was dead on with how it was on the factory diff. Shimmed the pickup with a washer for clearance and it was good to go. Just for info for the 12 tooth tone ring cars.

 photo thumbnail 1.jpg
 photo thumbnail.jpg
 photo thumbnail 2.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
....? the 940? I dunno whatchu talkin' bout now.
Naw dude. The guy quoted above you. Crossed wires, lol
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #71
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745volver View Post
In the video, I did not show the passenger side wheel spin but it makes the identical noise as the driver side. None of this can be heard when driving the car and putting power down while in a turn. Roughly a hundred miles on the TT as of the video....time will tell if there is an issue, however for the meantime it is mildly unnerving.

That sounds like a dying bearing to me:


https://youtu.be/sE1sAIsrSHY
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #72
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Sounds like the little helical gears, as there usually isn’t that much of a speed differential under most circumstances. That’s also putting a lot of wear on the helical gears and the housing when one wheel is lifted and spinning while the other is stationary. I wouldn’t worry about it, unless it’s making noises while going in a straight line.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:18 AM   #73
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

I'd agree with ^^^^. Might try some better fluid as well, that can make a world of difference and operation. I had some strange, almost chunky operation on mine with valvoline syn, redline was better but I had some gear noise, M1 seemed to be silent operation and helped with the gear noise. Some of the house brand stuff from the chain stores is pretty bad, barely even meets, IF it meets the specs for the grade.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #74
745volver
Board Member
 
745volver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Default

Okay cool, that sounds about right. No noise under any of the driving conditions. I used the house brand gear lube to do install and then will drain it soon to wash the contaminants out. Sounds like I might have to try some of that redline. Thanks for the input.
745volver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #75
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Go for the M1 over the Redline, honestly. Cheaper, easier to find, seems to work a touch better.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.