• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

IPD Turbo cam

Jake2k242

Anyone know how to use the IPD turbo cam and adjustable cam gear for a b21ft and how to set it to a different setting. Right now it is at +2.5 and my car had no bottom end power what so ever and it is so bad it starts to misfire and there is no power until 3200 rpm and it will boost before then. Anyone know if that will solve my problem and how to set it anyway? Thanks

I just replaced plug wires and they are in the right spots but I don?t know how to st cam timing and what it should be at. Right now my car is a dog and barely does anything and I?ve been trying to fix it and this is like my last thought was that the came timing is off.

Zero out the adjustable gear and then verify that all timing marks are aligned properly. Re-check ignition components upon doing so, you can never play it too safe in my book.

Test Drive to ensure the vehicle performs as expected under normal operating conditions, then, adjust to preference.

Last edited:
The valve clearance is set to the cold setting and I just checked all components and I do not see anything wrong. On the gear it doesn?t have a zero setting it only has -10 to +10 in 2.5 increments.

I believe what the others are asking is if your camshaft is starting off in the right positions (zero degrees) BEFORE you play with the adjustable gear settings. Think of things this way: If you never installed the adjustable cam gear and you just were replacing your timing belt, if you didn't 'static time' your timing marks correctly, your car would exhibit the same symptoms that you describe.

So, like 'MDVLN' said, you might want to start by setting your cam gear to the Zero setting and then check that the marks for the crank, cam, and idle gear (the old distributor drive shaft) are all aligned as they should be. If they aren't, your cam might be one tooth off. Please check that your static settings are correct and then report back.

Ah, I see (said the blind man). Good that you checked lash too.

I skimmed their destructions (instructions) and it looks like "-2.5" is the largest dimple on the outer rim of the gear(or was at some point as things tend to change over time), and likely the closest setting to "straight up" or Zero. A bit Bass Ackwards, probably why I've never bought one, but never you mind for now; Apologies that I'm not of greater help in that regard.

If it were me, I'd set things to TDC, put the stock gear back on the car and go for a quick drive. If it idles and revs through the normal range without issue, I'd then re-evaluate the iPD gear settings after the car cooled down. If it doesn't, that will have to be dealt with accordingly.

(fake edit - got ninja'd by deadken, but I'll leave this all here)

Back