• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

K-Jet Injector Install

VolvoNutt

K-jet Newbie
‘84 242 k-Jet
I pulled my injectors and had them cleaned and went back together this week along with a new WUR/CPR. When I installed the injectors the seals were tight per the carb cleaner test sprayed with said engine running. Also the new WUR solved the cold start problem!!!

My question to the TB population is this: Why would my #1 cyl form a injector leak after being driven a couple of miles? But before hand in the driveway it was fine, just because not under a load yet???

Tmrw I’m going to take the injector out and reinstall it. Thankfully I used grease on the o-rings so it’s an easy process.

I look forward to all the input you have to offer. Thanks!

is the leak between the head and the injector holder? the injector holder and the injector? the injector and the fuel line? is it just a vacuum leak? or are you seeing fuel?

It is just a vacuum leak, I re-did the carb cleaner spray test and #1 bogs down.

I did not replace the plastic holders they were in perfect condition, from what I could tell there was no reason to get new ones.

How do I id a leak at the holder?

It is just a vacuum leak, I re-did the carb cleaner spray test and #1 bogs down.

I did not replace the plastic holders they were in perfect condition, from what I could tell there was no reason to get new ones.

How do I id a leak at the holder?

There is an o-ring that seals the injector holder, take out bolt, pull injector holder, replace o-ring, reinstall You'll priobably have to order the o-ring so get them in your hands before doing the above procedure.

OK I apologize, I was not clear, I put both O-rings big and small on the injector and the holder. So I am left wondering why after the installation there was no vacuum leak, then drove it a few miles and now the engine does bog when I spray on cylinder one?

So should I redo the holder install cuz I may have rolled the o-ring or should I just order new holders?

I don?t see why ordering new holders would make a difference when they look perfect and the O-rings do all the work, correct??

I think even though I got the other cylinders right the first large o-ring was rolled accidentally. I mean this was the first time I have done this particular task so I don?t know the tactile feeling when inserting the holders & injectors. Honestly I was prepared to pull out a couple injectors at least once just because I don?t have the experience of knowing how they are supposed to snap into place and all that good stuff.

Ok I?m going to stop staring at an open hood and redo #1 injector.;-)

Same thing.... (3rd time) (I grew up with hydraulics, I?m no stranger to o-rings..... this shouldn?t be freakin this hard!!!)

Took it out again...

Upon closer inspection the inner holder looks worn around under the o-ring. Going to order new holders. Let?s see how long and expensive this will be! I have 13 days til my tag expires so we shall see what happens :oops:

Make sure the hole in the cylinder head is clean and dry. No gas varnish or brown crud in there. Then lube the oring with Dow 111 silicone sealant. You can also use vaseline. But the dow stuff is made for seals.

Also this is a turbo engine correct? Do you have the metal retainers on there? On turbo 240 series there is a metal retainer that sits on top of the plastic injector holder and is held with the same bolt. If you don't have them you will have vacuum leaks from the first time you make any boost......

O yes thank you 242gt I forgot to mention it?s a turbo :>)

I used lithium grease, same concept as Vaseline obviously. A shop owner told me to use it, all his mechanic?s do.

Yes there is the metal retainer plate on each plastic injector holder.

Yes the cylinder head hole was full of crud so I cleaned all of them out so the seals would have a good clean fit. The new holders will be here on Monday so all will be fine then, I have extra seals as well, just in case. I?m not a gambling man, I like backups for backups. :>) If I would have just thought of this in the beginning the 3 Emissions tests I just went through would have been enough to pay for the holders which would have solved the problem in the first place!! Or so I think right now...:roll::rofl::grrr:

Intake manifold gasket tends to fail mostly on the first cylinder. If it's broken then it might seem like an injector o-ring failure.

I too had the intake gasket fail under the number four cylinder runner. That was a very sneaky one. I finally found it with a squirt bottle of soapy water spraying it all around. I did think it was an injector leak like you mention but had done the seals already. So don't be afraid of getting out the squirt bottle if you need to.

Ok, I had my mechanic do the intake gasket not 100 miles ago back when I had a messed up shoulder and couldn’t do it myself. But I will report back Tuesday or Wednesday and let you guys know if I ended up needing the squirt bottle, the injector holders will be here Monday.

Thanks!!!!

I've had the wrong brand intake gasket last for only a couple of months. So definitely check it out even if it's only for knowing that it is fine.

Rodger that, he has always used the best parts(OE or better)if I did not provide the parts. I did not provide that gasket. But I will check tmrw with him and I will check with the squirt bottle too.

Thanks

Ok guys, you were right, it’s the gasket!!! I didn’t even have to use the squirt bottle. When I installed the new holder in cyl #1, started engine, spray injector little bit, FINE, did more,1....2...seconds and stumble. Hmmmm. Noticed the cleaner had run down to the intake gasket, sprayed right on gasket for intake runner #1 BAM engine almost died.

Looked closer and saw the vacuum leak here:
picture.php

Right next to the coolant inlet near the mani bolt, obviously you can see gunk was not cleaned when it was put down and then you guys said some gaskets only last a few months?

I called my shop and he’s great, will be redoing it next week, 2 days before my tag runs out... again! So hopefully this will nip the Emissions in the butt???

I just don’t have time to do the job myself this week otherwise I would do it.

Last edited:
they are good guys and everyone makes mistakes. He and his guys have worked on the wife?s car for 10 years, NEVER A PROBLEM ever. Even done work on my 245 when I?ve been too sick.

So one mistake in 10 years and I think the guy that did the intake was born after the 242 was born. LoL

It?s all good :nod:

Back