• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Garage heating, its cold in here

Even when I had room to work in my garage ( currently over crowded and useless) I did not try to heat the entire space. I just worked with a small space heater next to me.

I made sliding doors to only heat 2 bays (out of 3) works pretty good. What works better is insulation, even though I am not finished each added area of insulation is noticeable in how fast it heats up.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20180604_214225074.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20180604_214225074.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 188
The best thing I ever did to heat my garage was insulate it. Before I put in a ceiling (bare rafters) and insulation, I could barely keep it warm enough to work. It gets down to -40*C here over the winter, so without decent heat it was a nightmare. Now that it's insulated, it NEVER drops below freezing, although it helps that it's attached to the house on one wall. Now I can bring the temps up to +10*C with just a small 220v construction heater. On days I really want to sweat, I have a 35000-50000 btu forced air propane heater that makes it a sauna :). My space is 24' x 27' with 9' ceilings.

yeah my shop, even without heat, has been fine so far (and we got pretty chilly last year esp for the area). not saying it's warm in there when it's 30 degrees out cause it's not, but after a few minutes of working the sweater usually comes off and you can get down to business. ^that heater looks interesting. I'm thinking about building an outside boiler type of thing that's wood-fired, and setting up a loop through a radiator and a fan.. kind of like how the furnaces are set up in my house ( :-/ )

36 degrees out here, first night with the above heater, and I just turned it down. I'm not actually doing anything except for sitting at my laptop in the garage, making a new for sale thread haha, very comfortable temp in here. As I said before, no insulation and open rafters, wide 1 car garage.

36 degrees out here, first night with the above heater, and I just turned it down. I'm not actually doing anything except for sitting at my laptop in the garage, making a new for sale thread haha, very comfortable temp in here. As I said before, no insulation and open rafters, wide 1 car garage.

That's pretty good!

I'm running a 35k BTU kerosene torpedo heater I picked up on Craigslist. After replacing the cracked fuel lines and rebuilding the air pump, it's more than sufficient to heat up my un-insulated two car in minutes.

How do you vent it?

Doesn't need a vent, they run a catalyst to make is all safe like.

The shop I use is ~ 1600 sq.ft with no insulation. It gets cold. I use this 45k btu propane heater, and will max it out for about an hour or 2, and then switch it to low. A 5gal tank a propane will last 2-days if it's really cold and I want it warm. It's not very directional, so it's better at heating up the shop instead of a specific area.
http://www.mrheater.com/540-degree-45-000-btu-tank-top-heater.html

I also considered this one as it is more directional with the heat, and they do work well: http://www.mrheater.com/35-000-btu-portable-radiant-heater.html

I need to get my shopmate/owner of the property to insulate the dang thing!

Last edited:
Might as well invest in of these too.
71eUEdUO9CL._SL1500_.jpg

Something like this in my garage in my hometown. Gas, lots of BTU's but idk how many. My dad installed it back when he still liked cars. I'd say <5 minutes to get temps up.
1118784637_NpcM6-L.jpg

Current garage at school has some kind of convection gas heater that is vertical to the wall. It does alright.

Back