• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V50 T5 AWD brake 305mm to 320mm BBk kit

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
Car is 2006 V50 AWD...So I bought the wrong brake kit..I bought one for 320mm rotors but I actually have 305mm rotors. Discovered the mistake when the brake pads didn't fit. Car is on the lift, pads I took out are trash so I can't put it back together. The rears are the same so I installed them.

I ordered Akebono pads for the rotors I have just to get it off the lift and driving, they deliver same day so no problems there getting home.

But this made me think I want to use the 320mm rotors and pads I have, so I ordered the proper calipers for that, a quick Swedespeed search told me that I can just replace the calipers with the ones for the 320mm rotors, bolt it together, and everything is good to go.

Anyone think this is wrong? Rims are 17" so clearance isn't an issue.

The pads I removed were all worn on the inside pad quite badly compared to the outside pad. The driver side front went down to metal but the outside pad was close to passing inspection, wtf is that all about? The sliders are functioning and lubed, the rubber thing they ride in is in good shape.

Did the swap you're talking about roughly 2 months ago. Get the 320mm calipers and lines to go with them. Bolt them on with the 320mm rotors and pads and you're set. Easy swap. They fit under stock 17's, possibly under 16's as well.

Car is 2006 V50 AWD...So I bought the wrong brake kit..I bought one for 320mm rotors but I actually have 305mm rotors. Discovered the mistake when the brake pads didn't fit. Car is on the lift, pads I took out are trash so I can't put it back together. The rears are the same so I installed them.

I ordered Akebono pads for the rotors I have just to get it off the lift and driving, they deliver same day so no problems there getting home.

But this made me think I want to use the 320mm rotors and pads I have, so I ordered the proper calipers for that, a quick Swedespeed search told me that I can just replace the calipers with the ones for the 320mm rotors, bolt it together, and everything is good to go.

Anyone think this is wrong? Rims are 17" so clearance isn't an issue.

The pads I removed were all worn on the inside pad quite badly compared to the outside pad. The driver side front went down to metal but the outside pad was close to passing inspection, wtf is that all about? The sliders are functioning and lubed, the rubber thing they ride in is in good shape.

Are the caliper's piston size different?

Thanks! I didn't consider the lines, I will get them for sure. I got the calipers ordered, through the shop it was $200 total.

Where did you get AWD 320mm brake lines? I would think FWD would be fine...

Vincent, I will measure them when I do the swap if you don't get an answer.

Good idea.

I'm only asking because changing the piston size without changing the master might affect braking performance.

I looked online, found the piston replacement, but they don't give any size, but it's two different par numbers (centric) for the pistons for the 300mm and 320mm.

I found this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1792910&cc=1433147&jsn=935

But no way to know if it's for the 300mm or 320mm or both.

Bore is 0.937".

Last edited:
I don't have the lines still, but they were longer. Just look up for the same YMME as the calipers and you'll be fine. Different OE numbers between the 300's and 320's though, and the 320 lines are still pressure short with the suspension at full droop.

VG...no idea on the piston size, didn't measure, don't really care either. That said, I would assume the same since there is only 1 master cylinder used for all 3 brake variations according to all sources including VIDA, if that's the angle you were trying to get at without actually asking.

The 280/300 calipers are all cast iron, brackets and calipers. The 320's are an aluminum caliper, iron brackets, much different mounting design, much beefier design as well.

Ya, I learned that doing the R swap on my 240 haha, good point though. I don't think it is a huge difference, I've read a bunch of stuff on this swap now and no one has done that. I am ASSuming that it swaps from a large single piston to smaller dual ones, but I will know more soon.

I was looking for SS lines for 320mm, not a lot of luck except Viva, I may get those

VG...no idea on the piston size, didn't measure, don't really care either. That said, I would assume the same since there is only 1 master cylinder used for all 3 brake variations according to all sources including VIDA, if that's the angle you were trying to get at without actually asking.

Yeah, I was writing another post (see above).
If it's the same master, the question is irrelevant.

I did look into that beforehand, just for that very reason. I can also confirm, pedal feel is no different, stopping power is much better. Those are some huge calipers over the 280/300's. lol

I have 17" rims so not worried there but good to know. Got the lift tied up for a few days with a major suspension overhaul/lift kit so hope to get these on after that clears out.

Back