• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Diff Cover Replacement

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Does the later aluminum covers work on the non-ABS diffs? Very different speed sensor mounts, but my guess is because one is thin stamped steel and the other thicker aluminum.

I need a new cover for an 89 and all I have is a 93 for parts. This has been asked before but never really answered.

I never got my alum cover to work on my non ABS 240 with a g80 and a chopped up 48 tooth wheel down to 12 window. With the two blade sesnor I got speedo going too fast. With the stock sensor I got nothing.

Mine works just fine (when the germanium diode allows it haha), cover came from an ABS 940 G80 axle. Although one resistor was swapped on the speedo pcb board because the steelmetal cover had 820 Ohm sensor, the alu cover had 2.8 kOhm one.
Will take some photos and consult with my brother because he did the research and adaptation.

I have a nice 940 one but the speed sensor doesn't look like it would match at all. The 89 240's I have (std 3.73 rear end) has a speed sensor that looks like its mounted on top of a gallon jug cap and at an angle. I seriously dont know if its damaged (bent) or supposed to look that way. Needs replaced regardless so thats what I need to know....do I hunt for another old style steelie or can I use the aluminum one on the 93 I have?

The later style would be great but doesn't sound doable. Ridiculous.

Seems I've seen new steel covers for cheap. Dunno.

I've got a 90 7 series rear end cover, aluminum, that doesn't have the little "filter" built into the ring gear spray path; that same rear still had the drain plug with magnet on the pass. side of the DANA housing. All of my 9 series 1040's have had the same aluminum cover with the built in filter and the drain via the bottom center bolt.

The 7 cover I have is fitted with the LH2.4 speed sensor, but otherwise is different than the later version.

The aluminum diff cover fits, with the correct longer bolts.

Depending on the speedo in the car, the reading may be way off with the aluminum cover due to the sensor being different, but I believe that can be adjusted out with a variable resistor or a resistor change.

I have had both styles on my car trying to get my speedo to work on my LH24 swap, to no avail.

This is a 2.2 car thats going 2.4. I have a burning itching sensation that I'll be hunting another of these lousy steel covers just to make sure there's no issues. When I have both styles side by side I'll do some mic'ing and see what lines up and what doesn't.

This is a 2.2 car thats going 2.4. I have a burning itching sensation that I'll be hunting another of these lousy steel covers just to make sure there's no issues. When I have both styles side by side I'll do some mic'ing and see what lines up and what doesn't.

Bummer, Yeah, my car has a kjet -> LH24 swap AND a late model 240 dash swap and I'll be a son of a gun if the speedo in my car flat out refuses to function. Such a simple circuit that has caused me such frustration. I use a GPS app on my phone now.

Good luck!

I'm using an alu cover from a '90 740 with abs. Made my own 12 teeth tone ring to work with the truetrack. No mods to the cluster and it works fine, only the ring has some minimal wobble so at walking speed the needle fluctuates a bit.

Stock 1030, 3.91 gears, Modded G80 with the windows cut

I converted a few k-jet cars to 2.2 awhile back and we always used the 2.2's axle to go with it....for just such an issue.

I'm using an alu cover from a '90 740 with abs. Made my own 12 teeth tone ring to work with the truetrack. No mods to the cluster and it works fine, only the ring has some minimal wobble so at walking speed the needle fluctuates a bit.

This is a customer's car so gotta keep it 100%. Sounds like the steelie is all there is.

This is a customer's car so gotta keep it 100%. Sounds like the steelie is all there is.

Yeah I suspected that. I'm quite sure though that mine fluctuates because of a tweaked tone ring.
Understand, wouldn't want to take a risk too for a hard to measure improvement.

Stock 1030, 3.91 gears, Modded G80 with the windows cut
Can someone post pictures, or links, for the two different differential VR sensors? I think I've seen comments that one has 2 metal pole pieces sticking out versus a single pole. If so, the spacing between the 2 poles may need to match up with the tone ring spacing, or else it won't work.

Mine didn't work with the steel cover and chopped up 48 window -to-12 window either...

I thought alum would be the answer but it didn't fix it either. Idk

So I pulled an alum diff cover off a 1989 740 GLE 16v Saturday and found there was no G80 in there. To my surprise, I also found a one tooth sensor in the cover. Maybe this would be the solution to my 48 window-chopped-to-12 window G80 install in a non ABS 240. Alum diff cover and that sensor maybe would have got the speedo to work.

Again, I got nothing with the stock cover. Nothing with the stock sensor and alum cover. 2x too fast reading with the two blade sensor. Maybe the single "tip" sensor woulda done it..

Back