• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04 Turbo blanket

V70XC

Im trying to find a turbo blanket for a TD04, but I can't find one that isn't Subaru specific, which seems to end up being more expensive. I've checked PTP and a few other sites and found T3 T4 and T6 blankets, but found no answers as to if a T3 or a T4 blanket would fit on it.

This is the only image I can find of a T3 blanket on a td04 turbo. Not a terrible fit really.

hLPJFRJ.jpg

I think he meant why are people looking for something that is common in his world, custom heat blankets for industrial machinery. Which is not common to most of the rest of us. Most people don't look towards custom industrial applications for their cars hikerguy, but good to know thats out there, thanks

No I'm honestly looking for characteristics. As an insulator I see that flange and down pipe and think why only the turbo. What type of closures are people looking for, springs, buckles, high temp Velcro, wired? Looking around at some online pictures I saw most of them were very thin, not alot of r value. What kind of life expectancy are people getting from this application, how often are they really being removed? Not trying to high Jack by any means, just curious

Typically they end up being thin just due to fitment and cost I suspect. Main benefits would be keeping the heat from the engine bay, also keeping the heat in the snail to help slightly with spool time. I'd expect either spring or buckle would suffice.

I looked into some options for the Garrett, everything was either cheap and didn't fit worth anything or VERY spendy. Even the supposed drop-on for my turbo didn't actually fit my turbo.

From what I’ve been able to read.....the cheap blankets do a good job of insulating the turbo to keep heat out of the engine bay. It’s also seems that the cheaper blankets are almost a one time use. A lot of the reviews I’ve read are from them coming apart upon removal.

A lot of the reviews I’ve read are from them coming apart upon removal.

This is the case with a lot of the exhaust insulating products. The cheap stuff just disintegrates when you remove it and spreads these awful glass fiber type of sh*t that clings onto clothes and pokes you constantly. Ask me how I know.

Yeah glass cloth starts coming apart at 1000f. I saw alot that kevlar/nomex thread but that's not even rated to 500f. What kind of temps are most guys running up to? I used to work at a drag strip and most of them would try to keep egt's under 1300f but that's running 1/4s

Judging by the color of the turbine housing, the temperature after a longer WOT drive is around 750?C/1400?F on some areas. TD04-16T

Back