• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

On my 111 mile way to spend the morning with my Granddaughter's Grandparent's Day visit I have to pass by two Volvo dealers down in the flat lands. They will have the 381704 or the replacement 666143 . . . or not.

Back tomorrow night . . . all day trip.

First dealer did not have either. Second had 2 of the original version that fails. They are only $9 each. Took both because I didn't know the status of the front end of the linkage. Sure enough nary a sign that the plastic bushing had ever been there. Got both in without major difficulty with a little soap.

edited-image_14.png

Last edited:
Not sure how that shifter cover comes out but when you do do as MsgGrunt did and take it apart to paint it.
attachment.php

Shoulder surgeon says not bad enough to operate. Wait a year and stem cell treatment may be available.

A little limited . . . no chain saw work. In an effort to get around that pulling the rope problem I even bought a saw that has a wind up spring that starts the engine. Really does work. Tried to crank the pressure washer this past weekend and decided that was outside of acceptable physical therapy.

Got to take the seats out of the Bertone again. I painted the console with the leather vinyl paint and it looked beautiful. Now realize that it should be the dash oil based color. Close but no cigar.

The console is held in with two small screws completely inaccessible without removing seats.

One of the Volvo dealers did not have the shift linkage bushings in the previous post, another did. They had two and I bought them for a mere $9 apiece. That is a fifty cent part. Anyone want one for $20 give me a call.

I have long dreamed of putting a 4 speed AW70/71 in this thing and 77volvo245 came through with a PRV bell housing this week. Now to rebuild the AW70 that has been in the garage for several years.

See: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=293078

Now I have to read the Greenbook on transmission rebuild a couple times. Give me something to do over the winter.

Time to take the seats out again to paint the between the seats console and shift console. Santa is bringing a real nice air brush set. No one yet has provided enough information on removing the bottom shell of the shift knob for me to get it off without breaking it. It appears to only be a tight fit, not fastened in any way.

I think that will make four times the seats will have been out.

Alabama won the SEC Championship this evening by the way.

Last edited:
I have long dreamed of putting a 4 speed AW70/71 in this thing and 77volvo245 came through with a PRV bell housing this week. Now to rebuild the AW70 that has been in the garage for several years.

See: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=293078

Now I have to read the Greenbook on transmission rebuild a couple times. Give me something to do over the winter.

Time to take the seats out again to paint the between the seats console and shift console. Santa is bringing a real nice air brush set. No one yet has provided enough information on removing the bottom shell of the shift knob for me to get it off without breaking it. It appears to only be a tight fit, not fastened in any way.

I think that will make four times the seats will have been out.

Alabama won the SEC Championship this evening by the way.

Do you mean the chrome sleeve below the knob, or the lower portion of the knob (no OD, since BW55, or did you convert to AW71 & swap shifter bucket etc.,?)

If no one responds I think I still have the paper parts catalogues from the late 80's (been too many years for me to recall assembly of the non-OD shifter)...

EDIT - page 872 of the manual linked here (slide # 175)

Just yank it off. Clips on the shaft same in essence as AW70/71. Of course, knob maybe very inflexible given age..

Last edited:
I have tried to yank it off.

That didn't work. Guess I need some assistance.

Tried lubrication, that didn't help.

Here’s the pic for anyone looking:

4-F60-AF83-D8-D1-459-B-BEFD-61-A7-C33-DB491.jpg

Most likely just age then. May need to cup it & apply more aggressive upward momentum. Otherwise, it’s cut it off and replace time...

#27 is what’s actually clipped into the rod groove. Did you try depressing the spring & pulling/prying that off first?

It is part #27, the lower half of the knob that will not separate from #13 or #13A, the shaft.

The other parts came off easy enough.

It is part #27, the lower half of the knob that will not separate from #13 or #13A, the shaft.

The other parts came off easy enough.

The lower knob is actually #25 - the retainer is #27 :D - did you try pushing the spring down around it to relieve tension on the retainer? I can't recall how that is supposed to release, it's been too many years since I touched a Volvo of that vintage. Got any pics closeup of the white retainer collar (#27)? Does it have open areas in around the center collar that can be pried with a pick to relieve it's clamp on the rod groove?

Typo. It is indeed #25. The spring and retaining ring are out.

The issue is that the lower half of the knob will not separate from the shaft and there does not appear to be anything retaining it.

I have tried padded woodworking clamps to twist and lift . . . no cigar.

So, the lower knob is clipped into the groove on #2 - the outer shaft of the shifter. I was misrembering the sequence, since # 27 is the detent rod retainer, not the shift knob retainer, sorry to add confusion. The problem has to be simply the age and inflexibility of the plastic. Have you tried a heat gun around the base of the knob where the plastic clips into that groove? Perhaps that would help?

I will check tomorrow or probably a couple days from now since it is going to be 22 in the garage in the morning.

Yes, #2 is the firmly attached shaft. 13 or 13a is the reverse detent plunger that is loose inside #2.

#27 is firmly attached to #2. I find nothing 'clipped' between them except for plastic to metal force fit.

I will try heat. Good suggestion.

Back