• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinion on Pulling Windshield 740

moustacio

Hi everyone,

1988 745:

Would like to get y'alls opinion on having a glass shop pull the front windshield in order to install rubber gasket/trim outlining the windshield.

The shop installed the windshield after we had a hail storm so the glass in new and uncracked, however, the trim surrounding the windshield got banged up from hail and most of the rubber is now gone. They gave me some kind of excuse on why they didn't install new rubber trim but I talked with them today and they gave me some options.

They can pull the glass, get rid of the factory metal trim, and insert generic rubber gasket/trim for no cost. However, if they break the glass I would be responsible for the cost of the new windshield.

Couple of questions:

Can they install some kind of generic rubber trim into the factory metal trim without pulling the glass?

How likely is it that they will crack the windshield pulling it out?

Any other options?

I have checked junkyards but all I have found is windshield trim in as bad or worse shape than mine.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it made sense. Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've recently installed glass in a 92 745T and also my 92 940 sedan. Clips for the later glass trim are still available and the 92's will take up to the 95 year trim. I don't know the 88 7 series system.... but Simon Babbs will know. Shot him a PM as I know he has had glass changed in the early body 7 series.

Hi Redwood Chair, thanks for your reply. Yes, I suppose this is the answer I was looking for.

My thought was snow and ice getting packed between the windshield and frame, the ice expanding, and then causing problems. The shop said the adhesive would prevent any problems. I also believe I am hearing more wind noise but that could certainly be in my head.

Would you agree with the shop?

Thank you also DET17. I've surprisingly had good luck removing the clips undamaged from the boneyard in the event that I find nice windshield trim.

I am looking for more function rather than aesthetic, the hail storms took my car from a great specimen to a beat up looking pile. (Insert 700 series jokes here)

Hi Redwood Chair, thanks for your reply. Yes, I suppose this is the answer I was looking for.

My thought was snow and ice getting packed between the windshield and frame, the ice expanding, and then causing problems. The shop said the adhesive would prevent any problems. I also believe I am hearing more wind noise but that could certainly be in my head.

Would you agree with the shop?

Thank you also DET17. I've surprisingly had good luck removing the clips undamaged from the boneyard in the event that I find nice windshield trim.

I am looking for more function rather than aesthetic, the hail storms took my car from a great specimen to a beat up looking pile. (Insert 700 series jokes here)

Yes they know what they are doing with glass obviously, but on the other hand what incentive would they have to spend the extra time to remove it intact to save you money?

Yes they know what they are doing with glass obviously, but on the other hand what incentive would they have to spend the extra time to remove it intact to save you money?

They are full of it. There is no rubber gasket on a 7 series windshield. That piece of glass is set in butyl rubber ribbon and the trim is snapped in place after the glass is installed. Find a good set of used trim and install it yourself.

They are full of it. There is no rubber gasket on a 7 series windshield. That piece of glass is set in butyl rubber ribbon and the trim is snapped in place after the glass is installed. Find a good set of used trim and install it yourself.

This, No gasket

Hey thanks guys,

Redwood Chair: I meant thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Dan and 2manyturbos: yes, correct. The glass shop was just giving me an alternative to using the factory trim. And yes I will probably install good used trim if I can find it.

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

:roll:

I'm sure they saw the clips and dented trim when they pulled the glass.

When i pulled a 740 windshield at the pick in pull I used a guitar string and two dowels and made a little hole in the rubber gook and then back and forth with the wire. One person on the outside and one inside and you use the wire like a cutter, pulling it one way and the other and around the whole windshield. The wound guitar strings work the best as they cut better then a solid string, say a G wound string or A guitar string. This is the best way to pull one and not break it. Then I paid a windshield guy to put it in, 50 bucks. Only way to get the old factory good windshields. The new ones crack if you park next to a 240..

Back