• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V plus turbo - bogging down - HELP

Jack

junkman
16V with ezk Lh2.2 plus china turbo

Im having serious bogging down issues. The car will do one ok pull then it seems like the Waste gate is sticking open. I will press on the gas and I can see boost pressure building to 10 quickly but then the car hardly moves at all, it sounds like the gate is open the whole time
then intermittently it will work fine.

my original wastegate flap was crap so I just replaced it with a new one and a new actuator.

I have the wastegate hooked up to the turbo cold side housing

help please. Im loosing my mind over this

update - i found the wastegate rod was binding a bit against the bracket that holds it - theres a witness mark so I bent it the right way and went for a drive. pulled great 2-3 times then back to what seems like the same

full boost but being blown out the tail pipe

Exhaust is hot right now to try and see whats happening under there

Have you tried running it without a boost source to the wastegate?

I did - went crazy boost and then same thing happened

I will try it again with this rod adjustment

Last edited:
Update... it also goes into boost in neutral

Shouldn?t it be blowing it off at that point ?

That?s not how that works... boost is positive pressure in the intake manifold. It doesn?t go out the tail pipe until it?s burned. When you let off the throttle after heavy load, the compressor bypass valve (or BOV when equipped) re routes that 'wasted' positive pressure to the pre-turbo bellow, or to the atmosphere.

Sounds to me like you have a timing problem.

Update... it also goes into boost in neutral

Shouldn?t it be blowing it off at that point ?

The "blow off" or bypass only happens once throttle is snapped shut and a strong vacuum occurs. This can happen in neutral and will pretty much always happen under load.

Don't guess on the timing.

Or your next stop may be the crusher.

Make a piston stop and install a pointer, a piece of coat hanger wire under a bolt works fine.

Got the car running almost great now
On stock eZk turbo ecu

What injectors should I be running ?
I’m using 850 reds but it starts to pin at high rpm sometimes

I need to play with the timing again

Kind of guessing because I have an the lightened pulley

You mean base timing at idle?
What pulley are you using? KL Racing? Not sure how much clearance you have left at the front of the engine, but could you still temporarily line up the old v-belt pulley to the new one and transfer the timing mark?

Re: fuel injectors
"brown" 0280155831, "white" 0280155766 / "blue" 0280155830
incrementally larger alternatives to the 850T injectors
http://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=301784

You mean base timing at idle?
What pulley are you using? KL Racing? Not sure how much clearance you have left at the front of the engine, but could you still temporarily line up the old v-belt pulley to the new one and transfer the timing mark?

Re: fuel injectors
"brown" 0280155831, "white" 0280155766 / "blue" 0280155830
incrementally larger alternatives to the 850T injectors
http://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=301784

yeah that one. Im pretty sure I got my timing right now. Car runs fine but I get too much ping at higher rpms

running rebuilt red 850 injectors
what spark plug gap should I be running?

yeah that one. Im pretty sure I got my timing right now. Car runs fine but I get too much ping at higher rpms

running rebuilt red 850 injectors
what spark plug gap should I be running?

Not exactly sure on the gap, but you need to be running 93 octane and it helps to go 1 or 2 steps colder on the plugs. So either BPR7ES or BPR8ES. They will in theory have a shorter lifetime than a warmer plug, but they will help with knock.

Also you should get a wideband ASAP.

Yeah yeah I?m not a complete moron

Do as I say not as I do:-P

I don?t have a wideband going in my Regina +T. And it of all management systems needs one. But it was a $200 car. I?m hoping the new owner buys and installs one. Might as well go standalone at that point I guess

Back