• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

530 head, how can you tell if its been skimmed

Avtovaz

Ive a 530 head, i need to know if it has been skimmed and if it has how much has been taken off of it.

I need to skim from standard 2mm i think but not sure as yet.

thanks

Do you have a repair manual for a Volvo with a redblock engine? The “new” head height is listed in there.

no i dont, i am kinda new to volvo stuff, the engine is in a e36 bmw, but i never thought of that!

Privjet.

Measure the distance between the valve cover sealing surface and the head gasket sealing surface, IE the total height of the aluminium casting. Stock 530 height is 146,1mm.

Privjet.

Measure the distance between the valve cover sealing surface and the head gasket sealing surface, IE the total height of the aluminium casting. Stock 530 height is 146,1mm.

thankyou very much!!! i didnt see your reply until now !!!

The e36 is a very cool swap. Great job on that! You will need an adjustable cam sprocket and possibly one tooth shorter belt if it has been cut a lot. This will let you adjust for the retarded cam timing that happens from cutting the head.

thanks... i believe a ford pinto/vaz2105 motor [as in what we call pinto motor in the uk] belt is that little bit shorter so maybe use that.

have the adjustable pulley already, looking forward to what power itll mate

i think 0.4mm has already been taken off the head, i will take another 1mm from it, and then measure the cc of the chambers again. maybe with cometic gasket will do 11.5:1 not sure yet!

I need to skim from standard 2mm i think but not sure as yet.
Why?

If you are trying to achieve a specific compression ratio, then you should measure the volume of the combustion chamber and then remove material as necessary.

Why?

If you are trying to achieve a specific compression ratio, then you should measure the volume of the combustion chamber and then remove material as necessary.
Because that is step one to performance in Europe along with a camshaft larger than an H for stage 1 NA performance.

Back