• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

There's a small blurb on it in the current issue of Car Craft - their LS Fest West coverage, I think. I think they may have mischaracterized the way Sean made room for the rear tires....or I could be remembering it wrong.

Last edited:
There's a small blurb on it in the current issue of Car Craft - their LS Fest West coverage, I think. I think they may have mischaracterized the way Sean made room for the rear tires....or I could be remembering it wrong.

Ok!

Btw Sean, I got caught up on this thread; I really enjoyed the pics of the track days and the write-up of what went on, that had to take a while to do! If you ever accidentally find yourself in Dallas, I'd buy you a cold one or two! Cheers

I gotta snag a copy of it and read through it. They usually get some details wrong :-P

Ok!

Btw Sean, I got caught up on this thread; I really enjoyed the pics of the track days and the write-up of what went on, that had to take a while to do! If you ever accidentally find yourself in Dallas, I'd buy you a cold one or two! Cheers

Thanks man, I had a blast doing the driving to get the pics =) I get down there every once in a while, just had some family move to Texas so might get down there a little more often. Appreciate the props and the offer.:cheers:

Got some pics from a local photog of the last track day at PIR last Friday. He did an awesome job of capturing some super fun times on track.

Even managed to grab me pulling a tire on turn 12!!!! Here are a few of my faves

L1zl99Fh.jpg

ToylaWih.jpg

This Vette was pretty awesome and we had a wonderful time on track. Its a Grand Sport with a small supercharger setup. He was dynod at 580 wheel and could pull me just a little on the straights but as you can see it wasnt by much, I was glued to his bumper in this session until I got around him. Volvo was a little faster in the turns that he was.

DPbRkWsh.jpg

Priceless, Ferrari giving the Volvo a pointby

i4MZrWJh.jpg

Y2SeKPUh.jpg

ebHB5kbh.jpg

ElhtQksh.jpg

Peep that inside tire!!

ML4AmeAh.jpg

GT350 was fast but never fast enough to get around the old **** box. We had some great fun and it was good talks when we got back in the pits.

OmGyc9ch.jpg

Your leak? Can't be! Looks like every 240 with an e-fan wired to a switch....pull up, stop, leave it idling, forget to turn on the fan, hop out, go line up the picture....coolant boils over. That probably doesn't happen to you. :lol:

Your leak? Can't be! Looks like every 240 with an e-fan wired to a switch....pull up, stop, leave it idling, forget to turn on the fan, hop out, go line up the picture....coolant boils over. That probably doesn't happen to you. :lol:

No just water from the sprinklers. I have built far too many cars with stuff like that. E Fans are both controlled through the factory GM ECU. Staged on, the first at 170 the second at 185. They stage off too and are only on with Key.

Believe it or not the car doesnt leak anything in the garage. Only thing I do run into is the power steering leaks a little bit out the cap under lots of high rpm track days. I keep an eye on it.

These photos are all kinds of brilliant. I would have thought a highly modified 240 would still struggle against modern heavy hitters. I guess there is hope.

great pics...cool to see the old 242 holding its own with the new kids on the block

Thanks!!

Congrats - those pics tell the story and makes all that hard work worth it - :rofl::)

Thank you

Saw a small description of your car in car craft.

I need to snag a copy of it soon, I have not read it yet.

These photos are all kinds of brilliant. I would have thought a highly modified 240 would still struggle against modern heavy hitters. I guess there is hope.

Yeah, its been a lot of work getting the car dialed in to work as well as it does right now. You have to remember its as much Driver as it is Car. I spent an entire year building the car, and have spent the last 5 months straight working on the driver (I had a few years of seat time before this as well). That is what the guys in their supercars think as well, there is no way that Volvo is going to get around me......I believe I am not faster than the the car, but am faster than the driver.

I am very hard on myself. I dont think I am a great driver, I am average. The guy in the white C7 came up to me mid day and we were chatting about the car and the last few sessions. He said, the car is great but you were driving the piss outta that thing. He could see what I was doing from behind. That was encouraging!!

Spent most of last week getting some tunes in this pig.

Aside from 1 bad speaker its turned out very nice.

This was very tough, locating everything getting the holes cut in the sheetmetal to line up with the new hole in the door card. Also missing the lower trim piece on the door sill and the crank for the windows. I had this location picked out a long time ago, as I wanted some additional holding power on the door panels. So these are drilled into the sheetmetal with full length screws.

These are Audison 5x front speakers with Morel grilles on them (Better looking and fit the look and feel I was going for on the door panels)

KmSmF9ph.jpg

F2wDESyh.jpg

The plan was to keep this simple looking from the onlooker. So instead of a traditional head unit I went for this setup. This is an Audison DRC, its a direct input into the Bit Ten from Audison and is a really cool, small and light piece. It took a little work with the dremel on the ashtray to make it fit but it fits pretty good. Not sure its the final placement but moving it is super easy.

xBqGLB5h.jpg

This runs to the Bit Ten in the passenger kick panel and has lots of great functions, I am running it all on bluetooth input so my phone controls all of the music to it. Its a fully progrmable device, Digital EQ, crossover, staging with 5 pre outs to amps. I have software on my laptop and program the Bit Ten from that via a cable. Its amazing what you can do with this piece.

I installed an AD 400.4 amp with the rear channel Bridged for a super simple setup. Amp is under the passenger seat and that gave me great places to run the cables as I have ditched the rear seat air passages.

rN1fwagh.jpg

lPl4AuJh.jpg

Sub is a singe Fosgate Punch P2 DVC sub, single 4 ohm load how I have it wired in.

We built the sub enclosure to fit tight between the down bars of the cage and tight to the floor to rear deck height. I covered the front in leather, then built a cover panel for the rear area to finish it off.

RQY1aAOh.jpg

I initially was just going to cover it but it was way to flat and boring, needed some detail so I thought on it overnight and got up at 5 (I am a terrible sleeper) and threw this together.

j80Mqf1h.jpg

4wAfneBh.jpg

Its super simple, but made a little more detail on the panel to make it look like something.

The finished product. I used a small fox tail broom, cut in half and used the bristles mounted on the back of this panel to finish off the ends where the trunk hinges go. They are brown and blend right in.

gw0zDfhh.jpg

Took the car out for a nice 100 mile drive yesterday morning. Kept tuning on the stereo and I have to say for just 2 5" speakers and a 10" sub it sounds amazing.

Car is pretty damn good. Drives great, cruises down the freeway at any speed you want to go very nice. 1600 RPM at 70 mph is ridiculous. Hauls ass on the road course and autocross.

This weeks project is to fix my god awful fuel system......

Sean

Last edited:
So I have been fighting with this fuel system since the car went together.

Have had issues with the fuel leaking from the filler neck, raw fuel coming out of the vent, fuel leaking out of the fuel pump at the tank. Its been fun.

So after smelling fuel for the last time I decided to order some (lots of parts) and remount the pump and reconfigure the entire vent system on the car.

A couple of notes for anyone reading through this thread and looking for fuel pump info. Having run both the aeromotive setup and the Holley drop in retrofit setups I can without a doubt say that the Aeromotive is a better engineered product. If I had it to do over again I would have put the Aeromotive in tank pump in.

But here we are so here we go with trying to fix it.

So when Holley sells this they give you a foam ring, the problem is the foam ring compresses thinner than the flange height so unless you have a .125" thick fuel tank, the foam ring compresses before this assembly is tight on top of the tank. I had tightened the pump down on initial install and retightened later down the road. When I pulled it apart the last time it was clear that these were over tightened and the rubber was pushed out. I believe all of this could be avoided by them machining the top of the assembly different.

IgjKrv7h.jpg

UuH8lnXh.jpg

Clearly this was not sealing.

qN2KgWeh.jpg

Holley was nice enough to ship me out new hardware after I told them my issues. So 5 new bolts, 5 new washers and a new foam ring.

Next up was Revising the vent. The setup I had on it was vented from the stock sender, up a loop, and out a rollover valve mounted inside the fuel filler door.

The vent line out of the Holley assembly was going to the factory line attached to the filler neck.

So the first update was swapping those two. The new setup will be quite different. First new part going in is an in tank rollover valve. I rotated the openings on the rollover valve to be from the right and left then the vent line is now a -6 out the front of the assembly.

I cut a cork gasket to take up the too high flange height and installed the new foam ring.

R3TtEVWh.jpg

rayfCUXh.jpg

Ready to go back in with all new hardware.

So new plan for the vent line is off the front of the pump, instead of the side so hoping to limit the fuel slosh out the vent from side to side.

It is aluminum line over to the passenger fender and a huge loop up to the rear window and down by the filler neck.

tP6QIvAh.jpg

Then out of that into a fuel catch can then out of the catch can top vented out the buttcheek.

I fabbed this up out of some plate and a 3" mandrel bent stainless 45, a little bit of plate and some fittings.

j7OgSVlh.jpg

1IdXXrah.jpg

DhXatdbh.jpg

All plumbed up with -6 an stuff. Pretty happy with how this turned out.

qCF9I7dh.jpg

Got it buttoned up this morning and took it out for a trip. The first time I have driven the car and had it not smell like fuel both inside and out. Filled it up with no issues. drove across town and back.

I am truly hoping that I can move on with other stuff now but wont know until the next track day.

Now to fix a few pesky interior rattles.

Look at that, you can gas up your lawn mower with the catch can fuel. :lol:

Stereo install turned out super clean dude, love the beauty panel around the sub. So 220w to the sub, whats the volume of your enclosure?

Look at that, you can gas up your lawn mower with the catch can fuel. :lol:

Stereo install turned out super clean dude, love the beauty panel around the sub. So 220w to the sub, whats the volume of your enclosure?

Haha, I like your optimism my friend. I plumbed the drain out the butt cheek too so you can drain it without much drama but I have yet to find any fuel in it :-P

Funny you should ask about that.....I think I am woefully underpowering my sub. Its a P2 DVC and is a power hungry sub. I either need to get a more efficient sub or a bigger amp and run the 4 channel for the fronts and add some rear fill in there.

Box is 1.3 cu ft.

It sounds pretty good but I can tell its not enough power running it. I had that same 10 in a smaller box in that dumb yellow truck off a 5 channel Alpine v12 (Wonderful amp too) and it pounded in that.

Sean

Well I drug this old turd all the way from Portland to Fontana to run in the Optima event.

It was a haul, 1006 miles one way and we did it in one shot down and back. Drove down there on Thursday and home on Monday.

I first ran an Optima event in 2016 at Thunderhill and boy have things changed since then.

My buddy Kevin and I decided months ago that we wanted to hit it up so we made plans way back then. I havent follow the series much at all but had a great time a few years ago.

We got through Tech on Friday and got our run groups and the stickers installed.

YCCqzfYh.jpg

This is his s10 and its a bad ass machine.

PitprOZh.jpg

We opted for garage spots with the weather forecast. It was well over 100 on Friday and Saturday and 98 on Sunday, we were very glad we got them.

A few of the cars in my GTV Class

vi44NoRh.jpg

FeRBpUOh.jpg

k8IF8TUh.jpg

AspWT7Jh.jpg

Lpa5w6yh.jpg

I was seriously outgunned.....

I had a great time, the car did great on Saturday but I was off the pace of the slow cars and way off with the fast cars. I had a tough time getting over the nerves and the car was loose all over the track. Saturday was just autocross and D&E. Sunday was speed stop and road course.

I was much more on my game on the speed stop and had a great time running it.

SuVm9KIh.jpg

34OEIpHh.jpg

Road course not so much. It was so hot, I was hot but the car was really hot. I could only get in a lap or 2 before the coolant temps were too high. I saw 235 on the first session and 240 on the second session and called it quits for the day.

Clearly I need to do some cooling upgrades.

We did the road rally Saturday night about 30 miles in LA Rushour traffic. It was 104 degrees out. It was less than pleasant but got some cool pics.

1dyftfbh.jpg

Kevin was awarded the fast first timer award and got his $$ refunded for the event. He is a killer driver and the truck just flat works. its 2900 lbs, about 400 wheel hp and has 315's squared setup.

I got the participants choice award from Anderson Composites and a super cool plaque from Optima for it.

I had a blast, disspointed with my driving and the results but I had fun.

The Fuel system modifications worked like a champ, zero fuel slosh or fuel smell in or around the car.

I did develop a small fuel leak at the fuel rail from a loose fitting, snugged it up and seems to be all good now.

Car is going to just hang out for a little bit. Going to figure out my next steps from here. Its been a great summer, the car has been all over the west coast and I think most of the bugs have been worked out.

V3sl3pCh.jpg

0XmQDySh.jpg

Have you been to a racing school Sean?

Like Skip Barber, no.

I have been to several instructor days with Team Continental and Cascade Sports Car club here locally. They have been hugely helpful with getting me to where I am now.

The hang up is the guys I am competing against are SCCA National Champions....They are the top of the top. I am amateur at best.

Like Skip Barber, no.

I have been to several instructor days with Team Continental and Cascade Sports Car club here locally. They have been hugely helpful with getting me to where I am now.

The hang up is the guys I am competing against are SCCA National Champions....They are the top of the top. I am amateur at best.

Understand. If you really want to up your game, suggest a school with pro instructors. Surely made a huge difference for me. I've been to Barber (when it was Sears Point - the old 'dangerous' track), Bertil Roos (way back in the day at Pocono) and Panoz at Road Atlanta. My SCCA class didn't have National status, but I did manage 2 Division Championships. And if autocross is your thing -- there are schools just for that. My preference is schools where you're driving someone else's car -- they're reliable and you can beat them without fear of breaking and ending the lesson. Or if they do break, they just put you in another car. They're not cheap, but I promise you'll learn things so much more quickly than you will trying to figure it out yourself.

In any event, well done out there to both you and the car!!

Back