• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 740/940 HO Alternators

HighMans

What are some good companies that build High Output Alternators for 740's/940's? I've a 1991 2.3L 740 NA.

!00 Amp Bosch alternator from 1992 940 Turbo. This Alternator is quite large. Charge rate about 14.5 volts at idle. Only issue was enlarging the eyelet on the red wire from 6mm to 8mm to attach the red wire to the alternator terminal.

I contacted MechMan asking if they had anything for 740's or any volvo's at all and they said they don't make anything for Volvo's...

Yep. Confirmed. Looks like Mechman is no longer interested in alternators for Volvos. So I guess now we need to develop our own custom alternator options like everything else we do for our cars.
Dave

In my opinion, if you're serious about a high output alternator, save up and get something that is 6-phase and has a hairpin stator. Nothing in this site suggests those alternators are anything but normal 3-phase standard stator units.

If you really want your target voltage to be stable at idle no matter what you throw at it (14.4v, 14.7v or whatever), I would not be the guinea pig trying one of these on my car.

Yes, you can raise your idle to 1200 rpm. No, you cannot get a smaller pulley than those on a Volvo redblock alternator.

From their FAQs:
What should my system voltage be?
On a 12 volt system the high cutout voltage should be between 14.3 - 14.9 depending on the voltage regulator installed on your alternator. This voltage will be maintained when the battery is fully charged and the electrical load is low. As you add electrical load by turning on more accessories, the voltage will drop. By using Ohm's Law, you can calculate that when amperage goes up, voltage will go down. The higher the amperage load is to the alternator's maximum rated output, the lower the voltage will be. For example, if you have a 100 amp alternator and are using 80 amp, the voltage will be about 13.5V. If you bring your load up to 101 amp, then the voltage in the system will drop below 12.8V because the extra 1 amp that is needed and not coming from the alternator will have to be stolen from the vehicle's battery and hence the voltage will start dropping below the static battery level. Keep in mind that you might experience this scenario more often at idle speeds because an alternator will not be able to produce its rated capacity at low RPM speeds. Using a smaller diameter pulley or raising the vehicle's idle RPM can sometimes give you the added RPM to get the alternator to charge at a higher rate.

Dave

Back