• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 240 Shift Selector Loose

Labmember0003

So I am trying to sort out a bit of an issue with my 240 and I am unsure what would cause this.

First off, the shift selector can be moved at any point to any position (in and out of park, drive to reverse, reverse to drive, etc) without pressing the release button.

The actual detent that lock the lever into place also seem to be broken somehow. If you have it in drive, you can wiggle the lever up and down into neutral and 2nd without actually shifting the transmission into those gears. If you have it in drive and want it in 2nd you actually have to push it down past 2nd, into the 1st position, and then return it manually back up to the 2nd position. If you have it in drive and you want neutral, you have to shift it up into park and then manually back down into neutral.

Is this something that would be inside of the transmission or is it part of the shift lever assembly?

It sound like you have 2 problems The shifter moving to any gear without pushing the button is indicative of a broke selector gate. It's a plastic piece that's down inside the shifter assy. It's #8 in this diagram and the part # is 381798.

GR-44486.jpg

Having to move the shifter past the selected gear to get it to engage is indicative of worn or missing shifter bushings.

Looks like a new/used shifter assembly is probably my best bet since it sounds like there are likely a couple bits broken in mine. Not shocking for a car with 310,000 miles showing. I am just glad its that and not something inside of the transmission.

Back