• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Still overheating after thermostat

Its an 89 240. I believe its overheating, between the gauge showing it overheating and the lower hose being cold I believe, but I will but the ir to it tomorrow to confirm. Delta T is definitly greater than 10C. The lower hose is cool and I can't bear to hold the upper hose for more than a few seconds. Engine was recently swapped from a running 940 (with a broken temperature gauge). Water pump is still from the 940. 240 was bought no running with a seized cam. Thinking I should just do a radiator and water pump anyway.

The thermostat may may have been installed wrong, will that cause it to overheat?

Do what ihateteabaggedpeople said, I fired the parts shotgun at my 242, replaced everything in the cooling system, rad, thermostat, waterpump...the gauge was bad. Not the sender, the actual gauge.

Thinking I should just do a radiator and water pump anyway.

The thermostat may may have been installed wrong, will that cause it to overheat?

Revisit your T-stat. Vent hole should be at 12 o'clock and the sensing element is toward the head (i.e. the HEAT).

While it's out, drain the system and remove that radiator. After capturing your coolant, stand it on end with the entrance UP and garden hose fill it. See if the rate it gravity drains is as you would expect..... I can't quote you the time you should need, but it should be obvious that the proper flow channels exist. If it won't or barely flows, you have found your problem.

Once both T-stat and radiator are confirmed, the next logical thing to inspect is the "motivator" for flow...... die wasserpumpen (waterpump).

Report your findings.

Back