• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

And to think you almost sold it... and to think I was considering buying it ;-)

Keep it up dude. There was a guy around tx with a green 142 named dwight, saw him drive past a couple times but never got to meet him. You'll be glad you kept it

Bilstein HD's went on the front yesterday.
2 miles into the test drive, the radiator quit. Pissing fluid out from near the top- I suspect the plastic e fan zip ties made it quit finally.
Still a fun car, I'm just super broke now and had no budget for a radiator (custom, re-cored, or a 240 unit) nor a brake booster.

Something tells me mountain meet won't be happening for me this year. :-(:-(

If a 122 radiator works then I have a free one that used to be in my car. Wouldn’t be any big deal to make the center inlet work. It was even boiled out at some point in the last eight years.

2 miles into the test drive, the radiator quit. Pissing fluid out from near the top- I suspect the plastic e fan zip ties made it quit finally.
Still a fun car, I'm just super broke now and had no budget for a radiator (custom, re-cored, or a 240 unit) nor a brake booster.

Have you hit up your local radiator shop to get a guesstimate? Might be more affordable than you think.

Wouldn't an upper hose for an earlier B18-powered 140 work?
Steve

Probably unless there’s a big difference in the distance between the thermostat housing and radiator, but I bet there’s really not.

If I ever get around to putting in a nice aluminum one then I’ll give you the one from my 142 but it would definitely need to be boiled.

If a 122 radiator works then I have a free one that used to be in my car. Wouldn?t be any big deal to make the center inlet work. It was even boiled out at some point in the last eight years.

Andrew, I appreciate the offer. Let me stew on things tonight and I'll shoot you a PM in the morning. Kyle also reached out about his old 122 rad.

Have you hit up your local radiator shop to get a guesstimate? Might be more affordable than you think.

The quote I got at home was in the neighborhood of $350 for a recore, and like $200 for a pressure test and reseal.

Wouldn't an upper hose for an earlier B18-powered 140 work?
Steve

This is my theory as well.

Jb weld steel stick and let ?er eat.

I just put the invoice away: $120 for a re-core on my radiator. Tucson prices are cheap but for $350 gets you an aluminum one on Ebay.

Welp, still have the car.
I took a $240 deposit in mid-September with payment due by the end of that month. He told me to f*ck off today. So, I'm at a crossroads.

What the car needs right now:
Rear calipers
Brake booster rebuilt
Radiator re-cored

Welp, still have the car.
I took a $240 deposit in mid-September with payment due by the end of that month. He told me to f*ck off today. So, I'm at a crossroads.

What the car needs right now:
Rear calipers
Brake booster rebuilt
Radiator re-cored

I don't understand the whole deposit & bounce thing. Happened to me, I guess people just like giving away their money?

Is that the second deposit people have walked away from on this car?

I think you have a viable business model here. Just need to expand with more old Volvos.

I don't understand the whole deposit & bounce thing. Happened to me, I guess people just like giving away their money?

People are stupid.

Is that the second deposit people have walked away from on this car?

I think you have a viable business model here. Just need to expand with more old Volvos.
Sadly, this is the only one I received.
I wish, but something tells me the IRS would smell fraud.

People are stupid.

Maybe dropping the deposit gives them the temporary dopamine rush of actually buying the car, but then reality sets in, and they realize they don't wanna fork over the full amount.

oh well, deduct the deposit from your total expense of ownership!

Welp, no decision has been made as to the fate of this.
I've been debating what I'm actually going to do.
I can sit on it until spring/summer when I'll be in Ann Arbor working for FCA making $$$ and then do the remainder of the stuff it needs and keep it around.

OR

Continue to try and sell it while taking a bloodbath.

Anybody want to motivate me to keep this instead of trading for a 242 or 245?
I love the thing, like a lot, but it just depresses me sometimes.

Back