• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's orphan 220 amazon wagon

Updates! I've been doing weeks and weeks of monotonous grinding, fitting, removing, grinding, cussing, grinding, then lots of painting.

I also got a new phone that takes decent pictures, so maybe I'll have more material for this thread in the future lol.

I've finally got the suspension about 90% finished. The only thing I've got left to finish is the sway bar. I ordered a poly bushing and bracket kit, but I was unaware that the brackets changed in 67. I'll have to modify my car to fit, the later ones are much stronger.

lJhZcqc.jpg

sLk7gzr.jpg

I also got my MS3Pro in, and for some reason I thought they were smaller than the MS1...I'll have to explore places under the very small 122 dash to put this thing.

1Fn26ee.jpg

I've also had the 1800 rear end rebuilt with new bearings, seals, and 4:10 gears. The 4:30 would have just been too much for this car so I got it swapped out. Good thing too, the shop said that the carrier had spun a bearing, and that would have been no bueno on my upcoming cross-country trip in this thing.

After receipt from the axle shop I painted it up and threw it in the car. I still need to finish weld the upper link brackets to the chassis, re-make one of the lower bars, and make some limiting straps, but aside from that it's done. I have high hopes that it won't come back out of the car.

axsLMSM.jpg

zCLYdKp.jpg

You may remember that I was putting bag-overs on the front of this thing and it was an obscene amount of work. Well that's done too, and I've finally got the cross member in and everything bolted up. This should be final as well.

tVcVhTf.jpg

I also decided to change to 740 rotors for the front and an adaptor. This is in lieu of the redrill that I did, I got the pattern off center on one of the hubs. I'll try and find another set, but in the mean time this will work.

Note that I'm using the stock sway bar pick up points. They have been moved, but they are the same apart from that.

bxex12c.jpg

Given these developments today I was finally able to set the car back on the ground and roll it back and forth in the shop. I can't express how excited I was to see this:

5JCUV9q.jpg

ChbPKFo.jpg

m84v7Jq.jpg

tXADT8i.jpg

22gga3B.jpg

Laid out it tucks about an inch of tire in the rear and almost all of it in the front. I think it could use a little more spacer in the front, but the offset in the rear is perfect with no spacer at all. This is sitting on bump stops too, if I didn't have them it could go at least a half inch lower all around.

Also note, I got a roof box for cheap. This will also help on the aforementioned trip this summer.

Here's a shot of the front cross member at the lowest ride height. It's...close :lol:. But the car won't be driving when it's this low so it's all good. You can also see the air lines for the front bags, they'll be routed down the frame rails on each side.

UtlY0l4.jpg

Next up, trans rebuild, final clutch and engine install.

Last edited:
Nice work so far, this is gonna be sweet. Did you add that tow hook on the front crossmember? I don't think either of my Amazons have it.

That's guys! Yeah one of my parts cars is a 72 1800es, the tow hook was cut off of that and welded on mine. I'm also planning on using the steering box out of that car.

I think it may have changed at that year split like all the other little things. I've crawled around under the car enough hooking a strap to it I figured a hook would be a good idea.

Got limiting straps tacked on the rear axle tonight. I believe these are stock replacements, I just cut them down and moved them to the front of the axle to work better for my application. It sucks I didn't do this before painting the axle but oh well, I'll just fog it again and it'll be fine.

QKmKrl3.jpg

Some updates...

I'm getting one of the wheels warrantied because the center was welded in off center and it had a wicked wobble. Also getting the front adapters re-made because the bolt circle was off center from the center of the adapter.

Aside from that I've been working on steering. Tonight was focused on bending the steering arms to try and get rid of some of the bump steer this thing is bound to have. I've got a bump steer gauge I'll measure it with, but this is about as best as I can do for now.

NoS9Qbq.jpg

Got the flywheel resurfaced as well. It's going to hold a 850R pressure plate with a custom disk I had made from California Custom Clutch. The car will only make like 200 hp, so I just went with a full face organic disk. I'm sure it'll be fine.

bii7xr4.jpg

XNCP1t1.jpg

qFXWuAJ.jpg

Also big props to Stephen for hooking me up with his welding skills on the oil pan. I think it came out great. I had the machine shop true it up a little when they resurfaced the flywheel, so it's nice and flat.

o00gmP4.jpg

K83FV1O.jpg

haTVVZ5.jpg

I'm still waiting on parts to trickle in, but as soon as my pickup tube comes in the engine will be more or less ready to rock.

Did Stephen weld a dick inside your oil pan ? Not saying I'm offended, I think it would be hilarious .

Crazy that the adapters were off center, who did you use ?

:lol:

Yeah theres a micro-penis in my oil pan.

I used motorsport tech for the adapters. I've used them in the past with great results, this was just really odd. The wheel I had on the front spins true on the rear axle, and a stock wheel spins true on the front hub. Nothing is out of place with the lugs, studs, etc. The only explanation was the adapter. The sales guy said that it has happened before, albeit it's very rare. He didn't like setting up adapters for lug-centric setups but this was far enough out I could see the adapter bouncing on the hub.

:lol:

Yeah theres a micro-penis in my oil pan.

I used motorsport tech for the adapters. I've used them in the past with great results, this was just really odd. The wheel I had on the front spins true on the rear axle, and a stock wheel spins true on the front hub. Nothing is out of place with the lugs, studs, etc. The only explanation was the adapter. The sales guy said that it has happened before, albeit it's very rare. He didn't like setting up adapters for lug-centric setups but this was far enough out I could see the adapter bouncing on the hub.

Stephen wins! :rofl:

I have similar adapters, glad I didn't have issues then.

Yeah I have a full set on my 242 albeit they are hubcentric and I love them. He was easy enough to deal with however, and the second set is on the way to me as of yesterday.

Got some work done on the car this weekend. The main goal was to get the engine and trans back in the car so that I could get it transfer it to the alignment rack. I worked on a couple of side things though. The first being the gauge cluster.

Anyone who has ever owned a 122 knows how bad the paint gets on the cluster face, I decided to give mine a refresh. I used SEM texture paint and color coat to bring it back to life.

QadTtYj.jpg

QnDZsZc.jpg

WIq1x7D.jpg

vJx7JMi.jpg

I'm very happy with the final result. The texture isn't totally the same as the stock finish, but I think it looks great. The color is a little darker as well from standard, but I thought it would look a little better this way. I'll update this further as I assemble and install it.

I had to do a small amount of engine work before I deemed it good enough for install, namely cleaning. This was as good as I could get it, but I think it's good enough for now.

951HEnK.jpg

The oil pan I bought and had shortened was also missing a baffle, so I made one up out of sheet metal quickly.

cLzOPD1.jpg

Got the pickup tube shortened as well and threw it in.

LhxTZm8.jpg

Next step was engine install. I had to mount up the trans cross member as I hadn't done it earlier. It's held in with 1/2" bolts, and the frame rails have collars welded in them now for the bolts to clamp down onto.

iYqiDb7.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with how every thing turned out on the oil pan. It clears the control arms, cross member, etc very nicely. I wish I could lower the engine some to help out with my driveshaft situation, but the oil pan is already too low in my opinion. It's just a hair under the cross member, but almost at the same level.

0qt4p8e.jpg

Plenty of exhaust room:

exleeI4.jpg

imYYbgH.jpg

I think I'll just run a standard oil filter here, but I'm a little leery about a rock or something hitting it there. Maybe I'll make a shroud or something to go around it.

DnO06eu.jpg

After I finish the alignment and steering on the front side I'll move back to the engine and start finalizing more stuff in there. Alternator and intake manifold will be first up on that front.

gahN2ID.jpg

Back