• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Exhaust

Murploid1

Hello,

The rear silencer/muffler on my 82 240 Turbo gave up yesterday, on either side of the box there are pipes that allow connections. One is to the tailpipe the other is to the under/over axle pipe.

The issue I have is that the under axle pipe has the broken pipe from the rear silencer/muffler fused over it. I have removed the clamp but the bit of pipe is completely stuck on there.

I have a new silencer on order but its not going to go on unless I can remove that extra piece of piping that is stuck on the under axle pipe.

How do I get this off?! Any ideas?

Heat it? Cut it?

Last edited:
Easy, just an angle grinder and cutting disc. You need to cut further the two factory slicings (sorry i dont know the proper word for it, the two longitudinal cutouts to allow the clamp to shrink the pipes diameter) without damaging the under/overaxle pipe.
Great idea to just cut away the complete muffler before doing it, at the input pipe - close to where its welded to the muffler body. This way when you slice it completely you basically cutting the pipe in half, and you just need a slight hammering.
If you are lucky the pipe you end up with is not too rusty, and you just need to clean it with flapper disc and you are ready to rock!

Back